Keyword

Site Modules not appearing on K2 pages...

• Different Color
  • Different Color's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
14 years 8 months ago #76834 by Different Color
Site Modules not appearing on K2 pages... was created by Different Color
I think this is more of a Joomla development question, but it seems to be a problem with K2 for me.

I hope this makes sense - when users click on K2 articles it takes them to a www.mysite.com/component/k2/.... link. Which means any of my modules I have set to show up on all my news menu pages do not appear.

How can I make my modules show up on all the K2 articles pages - without having to say "ALL PAGES" on the module parameters. There must be some way to do this...

martha

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 8 months ago #76835 by Red Evolution
Replied by Red Evolution on topic Site Modules not appearing on K2 pages...
Joomla assigns modules to menu items. Modules not set to show on all pages won't show on items/articles that do not have a menu item with the module assigned to that menu item.

d

• Different Color
  • Premium Member
More
14 years 8 months ago #76836 by Different Color
Replied by Different Color on topic Site Modules not appearing on K2 pages...
Yea - I know that's the problem, I was hoping there was some clever work around! Like making a fake menu item or some kind of code hack or anything. ugh.

More
14 years 8 months ago #76837 by troponin
Replied by troponin on topic Site Modules not appearing on K2 pages...
A clever workaround would be to make a "blind" Menu (not publishes) and link to the cats. Publish thw Modules you would like to show to the menu point.

• Different Color
  • Premium Member
More
14 years 8 months ago #76838 by Different Color
I already did that Troponin - which is limited - because the main problem is the linked Items from the Category Item View and the Content Module (for recent news I have) all take you a url that looks like this:
www.villagechronicles.net/component/k2/item/245-united-states-marine-corps-reserve-toys-for-tots-program

I can't make a menu item that goes to /component/k2/items .... or at least it doesn't work. Which I guess might not matter if it isn't published. I suppose I could try making this menu item as a link and see if it works to assign modules.

But perhaps this is a flaw in the K2 logic that could fixed? Because even if making a broken url an unpublished menu item WORKS, it wouldn't allow me to specify modules by category to any of those items, which is a major limitation.

Martha

Troponin said:A clever workaround would be to make a "blind" Menu (not publishes) and link to the cats. Publish thw Modules you would like to show to the menu point.

• Different Color
  • Premium Member
More
14 years 8 months ago #76839 by Different Color
Actually - there is a larger issue going on here that occurred to me while I was in the shower this morning. The lack of module control over these K2 item pages (when clicked on from within category items or the content module) means that a sophisticated advertising system can not be effective.

If I wanted to put my advertising modules on all articles in the Business section - they will ONLY appear if people get to the article from the Section itself. Not if they click on the article from the content module or the category item links.

Martha

• Different Color
  • Premium Member
More
14 years 8 months ago #76840 by Different Color
Nope. Other then the unfortunate obvious answer of putting all my modules on ALL pages of my site.

I did read somewhere else that people were making good use of specialized module extensions that can 'go anywhere'... maybe look into that? Like modules in content and stuff. You could put the code for modules INSIDE your item.php file perhaps.

martha

James said:Hi Martha,
I am having the exact same trouble with a site I am working on, have you had any luck getting this to work?

James

More
14 years 8 months ago #76841 by bkemler
Replied by bkemler on topic Site Modules not appearing on K2 pages...
If all you want is for a module to show up on every page that holds any K2 article, try the Advanced Module Manager- www.nonumber.nl/extensions/advancedmodulemanager

It allows you to tell it to put a module on every page of a particular set of components (or exclude it from particular components).

It also has capability to put up modules by section/category/article on the core com_content so someone might be able to modify it for K2 sections/articles if they wanted...

More
13 years 1 month ago #76842 by Adnan Pirota
Replied by Adnan Pirota on topic Site Modules not appearing on K2 pages...
Just to confirm that it works on K2 on Joomla 1.6