Keyword

K2 does many queries to a DB!

More
14 years 1 week ago #77157 by David R.
Replied by David R. on topic K2 does many queries to a DB!
No, 250 visitors a day is very low traffic.

Parth Lawate said:General Question ,
For a site hosted at a Shared host like Rochen , should a site having around 250 visitors per day as per analytics and roughly 110 articles.. should it need a VPS ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 week ago #77158 by Parth Lawate
Replied by Parth Lawate on topic K2 does many queries to a DB!
I thought so too..

David R. said:No, 250 visitors a day is very low traffic.
Parth Lawate said:General Question , For a site hosted at a Shared host like Rochen , should a site having around 250 visitors per day as per analytics and roughly 110 articles.. should it need a VPS ?

More
14 years 1 week ago #77159 by David R.
Replied by David R. on topic K2 does many queries to a DB!
It also occurs to me that if this work is going to be done, each category could also store the number of items, which would relieve the necessity to do a SELECT COUNT(*) query for each one, and perhaps also in the process fix the mysterious subcategory count bug that has been reported by me and at least one other person. ;)

I feel strongly these are optimizations that would be very good for K2 performance since the ratio of read to write is typically going to be very high. Certainly caching is advisable, and "Catalog Mode -> Yes" is an acceptable switch for some people, but this would be far superior to that.

The only downside I can see to these suggestions is that there would need to be an integrity checker that goes through all the categories and items and validates the denormalized columns in the case that mysql has a problem, although that would not be a difficult utility to write at all.

So, in conclusion, storing a childcount and itemcount column in the categories would be all that's needed, and would provide great optimizations.

-No need to do count(*) for items
-No need to query for items when itemcount == 0
-No need to iterate on a subcategory if childcount == 0.

This could be *supercharged* with the addition of a category_item_xref table which would store a full list of all child categories for a category. It would simply flatten out the hierarchy so that you have a 1-M of all the child, subchild, subchild etc. categories for a particular category. Needless to say there would be no need to ever recurse given the availability of this table and associated index.

I haven't fully thought it through, but the itemcount in the category would eliminate concerns about displaying itemcount data, as you would be able to get everything required in one query/result set to display category and item data.

David R. said:This could easily be optimized with the addition of a denormalized "hasChild" column to the k2_categories table. When a child is added or deleted, this flag would need to be updated. For situations like the ones described, it could be used to short circuit unnecessary queries for categories with no children. By the same token it makes sense to also have a "hasItem" flag.

More
14 years 1 week ago #77160 by Parth Lawate
Replied by Parth Lawate on topic K2 does many queries to a DB!
I agree that these optimizations would really help..

Catalog mode isnt really very useful when you want to use the full power of K2 as a cck..

More
14 years 1 week ago #77161 by Lefteris
Replied by Lefteris on topic K2 does many queries to a DB!
Hi again. For all of you having performance issues with K2 please have in mind that K2 full of possibilities. The performance of K2 depends on your setup. When performance is an issue it is highly recommended that you set "catalog mode" to "Yes" (under category settings) and "Fetch items from children categories" to "No" (under menu settings). Also caching is very important. K2 can handle sites with million of visits. In any case to see what are the queries that the component is performing you can enable the system debugger and request a K2 page by adding tmpl=component in the URL. This way Joomla! will render only the component and you will see the number of queries that K2 performs.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)