Keyword

Dash stripped in tags

• Davide Lorenzon
  • Davide Lorenzon's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 8 months ago #77654 by Davide Lorenzon
Dash stripped in tags was created by Davide Lorenzon
Hello!First many thanks to the developers for this great CCK! In our company we're currently building a website based on K2. At the moment we're using K2 v2.2 and Joomla! 1.5.13 (will be updated when finished and new website online). We started with K2 v2.1 and added with this version all tags. As I was controlling the tags after updating to K2 v2.2, I noticed that all tags which contains a dash (-) are listed a second time without a dash. If I want to save a tag containg a dash, the dash will be stripped.Has anybody an idea how to fix it?Many thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 8 months ago #77655 by Lefteris
Replied by Lefteris on topic Dash stripped in tags
Hi. We took this decision because there was a problem when using tags with dash and SEF URLs. When a tag contained a dash then the SEF URL was something like : /blah/blah/tag-with-dash. The problem is that Joomla uses the dash character to define the id and the alias in a URL. For example a URL to a K2 item or a com_content article is something like this: /blah/blah/id-alias. So the problem is obvious. Any tag with dash is split by Joomla and this leads K2 to have problems getting the tag from the URL.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Davide Lorenzon
  • Davide Lorenzon's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 7 months ago #77656 by Davide Lorenzon
Replied by Davide Lorenzon on topic Dash stripped in tags
Ok. I understand that point. I already changed all Tags. Thank you for the information!

More
13 years 8 months ago #77657 by Casper Voogt
Replied by Casper Voogt on topic Dash stripped in tags
It would be great if tags could have a "for display only" text field, and an Alias field. 

For words like "e-learning", using the dash is the only proper spelling. Leaving it out looks unprofessional (for my site, anyway). I don't have to have the dash in the alias, just in the tag that gets displayed on the page.

I managed to get around the issue by using  the n-dash HTML element: –

Lefteris Kavadas said:

Hi. We took this decision because there was a problem when using tags with dash and SEF URLs. When a tag contained a dash then the SEF URL was something like : /blah/blah/tag-with-dash. The problem is that Joomla uses the dash character to define the id and the alias in a URL. For example a URL to a K2 item or a com_content article is something like this: /blah/blah/id-alias. So the problem is obvious. Any tag with dash is split by Joomla and this leads K2 to have problems getting the tag from the URL.