Keyword

Pls help - can't search Category descriptions

• Todd Allen
  • Todd Allen's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 8 months ago #77976 by Todd Allen
I have built my first K2 site around the K2 categories.  A category is basically used as a page - and then items are used as elements on those pages.  Last night I began working on the the design/template for the search page (using the standard Joomla search module) and found that K2 items are being searched but NOT K2 categories - more specifically their descriptions (which is where my page content is).Please help.  I need to know if I have a setting wrong or what a possible solution is.  THANK YOU!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Todd Allen
More
14 years 8 months ago #77977 by Todd Allen
Replied by Todd Allen on topic Pls help - can't search Category descriptions
With no response from the forum, I dug into this and figured it out myself. I had to write my own search plugin for the K2 categories. Why the standard K2 search plugin only searches K2 items makes no sense. It should search EVERYTHING K2.

More
14 years 8 months ago #77978 by Pei-Ying Lin
Replied by Pei-Ying Lin on topic Pls help - can't search Category descriptions
Actually, K2 searching function does not work well in my site.
Most of time it returned nothing. (Joomla searching works a little better then K2.)
I saw another person has the same problem.
So, I think K2 searching function still not build up very well.
So, it was not strange you did not get category descriptions.

Since K2 is still very young, I have patience to wait for his development.

Looking forward for your plugin.
Cheers

• Todd Allen
More
14 years 8 months ago #77979 by Todd Allen
Replied by Todd Allen on topic Pls help - can't search Category descriptions
hilelen, I appreciate your positivity but the fact is that the K2 search plugin bundled with the installation packages DOES NOT even attempt to search categories at all. I guess the developers just didn't see users implementing the tool in the way that I have. However, from an end-user standpoint, it's a lot easier for them to look at a heirachal layout of categories (as pages) than to have one gigantic list of items that they have to sort in order to find what they're looking for ---- at least in my application it has proven a lot easier this way.

The K2 search plugin only search items. If you (or anyone else) want to search categories, you'll have to write your own search plugin or contact me to get a copy of the one that I have written. I still have one last little bug to fix but should have it working in the next day or two at most. I have a couple issues outside of this one that I'm juggling so I can't focus 100% on it.

More
11 years 7 months ago #77980 by tonydoe
Hi, K2x, I am having the same problem on my joomla 2.5.8 site running K2 v2.6.5. Surprisingly, since you described it here 3 years ago k2 team havent fixed this issue. I would much appreciate if you send me a copy of the k2 search plugin of yours.