Keyword

K2 Front page items

• HomesteadMommy
  • HomesteadMommy's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 7 months ago #78796 by HomesteadMommy
K2 Front page items was created by HomesteadMommy
I'm trying out K2 as my homepage.  I made a new category (welcome) and made all my other category subs of that one.  Then changed it in my menu.  This worked quite well for me.  But I'm having one problem.  I only want the newest post in the sub category to show up.  I can't figure out how to change this...I see in the menu you can chose to have only featured items or sort by newest first.  But I can't find anything for ONLY newest post...I could manually make the newest post featured, but then that would muck up my featured posts in the sidebar....Anyone know how to fix this?Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• HomesteadMommy
More
14 years 7 months ago #78797 by HomesteadMommy
Replied by HomesteadMommy on topic K2 Front page items
Ok I've been playing around with this. I set the front page category to show only featured items for now. But when I do that it bumps my right sidebar down under everything else...very odd. If I change the k2 front page to not show only featured items that it goes back to the side as normal.
This makes no sense to me.... :-S

More
14 years 7 months ago #78798 by Simon Wells
Replied by Simon Wells on topic K2 Front page items
Hi,

Have you considered using the K2 modules to achieve this? It will give you the additional flexibility to do what you want.
Which Joomla template are you using, do you have a link to the site?

Regards,

K2Joom.com
A Live K2 Development and Tutorial Site.

• HomesteadMommy
More
14 years 7 months ago #78799 by HomesteadMommy
Hi, I had tried using the k2 mods to do this with. The problem I had is I could only get it to list items vertically on top of each other. I liked having them in a 2 x2 grid under my main text. My site again is www.homestead-acres.com, the template is one I made myself with artisteer.
Does one of the K2 mods have an option of showing ONLY the newest item per cat? I looked through every option I could find and didn't see it.
Thanks,

K2Joom said:Hi,
Have you considered using the K2 modules to achieve this? It will give you the additional flexibility to do what you want.

Regards,

K2Joom.com

More
14 years 7 months ago #78800 by Simon Wells
mod_k2_content allows for Item Ordering, which can be set to most recent first, but wont show in a 2 x 2 array, unless you template has module positions arranged in that way.

You could however set you category to show content using wither leading, primary or secondary set with columns of 2 and Item Ordering set to Most Recent First.

Hope that helps.

K2Joom.com

HomesteadMommy said:Hi, I had tried using the k2 mods to do this with. The problem I had is I could only get it to list items vertically on top of each other. I liked having them in a 2 x2 grid under my main text. My site again is www.homestead-acres.com, the template is one I made myself with artisteer. Does one of the K2 mods have an option of showing ONLY the newest item per cat? I looked through every option I could find and didn't see it.
Thanks,

K2Joom said:Hi, Have you considered using the K2 modules to achieve this? It will give you the additional flexibility to do what you want.

Regards,

K2Joom.com

More
14 years 7 months ago #78801 by Simon Wells
I also notice on your home page, that your rating stars have an additional arrow bullet.
This is caused by the li style set in your template, which shares the same as you K2 template.
This just needs to be renamed so that it is distinguishable between the two li types. However, some additional work may be needed to recode your templates css.

Let me know if that makes sense or if you need extra help with that.

Regards,

K2Joom.com

• HomesteadMommy
More
14 years 7 months ago #78802 by HomesteadMommy
Yes that is the mod I used and had a list of featured items in my right sidebar. I deactivated it when the sidebar was bumped under the main area. Although you can still see my "who's online" that is suppose to be in the right sidebar. If I change the k2 homepage to not show only featured items, the sidebar goes back to the right were it should be. That just doesn't make sense to me. Why would the type of article shown by content settings affect the position of my side bar? :-S

Your second idea is the newest setting I have. I have K2 as my homepage and it's set to show the category description (to get my welcome message to show) then featured items under that. I would prefer to have the newest, not featured items there. Also setting it to show featured items only creates the sidebar problem..

I'm banging my head against the wall here lol.
Thanks,

K2Joom said:mod_k2_content allows for Item Ordering, which can be set to most recent first, but wont show in a 2 x 2 array, unless you template has module positions arranged in that way.
You could however set you category to show content using wither leading, primary or secondary set with columns of 2 and Item Ordering set to Most Recent First.

Hope that helps.

K2Joom.com

HomesteadMommy said:Hi, I had tried using the k2 mods to do this with. The problem I had is I could only get it to list items vertically on top of each other. I liked having them in a 2 x2 grid under my main text. My site again is www.homestead-acres.com, the template is one I made myself with artisteer. Does one of the K2 mods have an option of showing ONLY the newest item per cat? I looked through every option I could find and didn't see it. Thanks,

K2Joom said:Hi, Have you considered using the K2 modules to achieve this? It will give you the additional flexibility to do what you want. Which Joomla template are you using, do you have a link to the site?

Regards,

K2Joom.com

• HomesteadMommy
More
14 years 7 months ago #78803 by HomesteadMommy
Thanks! That was going to be my next question lol. I noticed it does the same thing for tags depending on what page placement they are shown in as well.
If you had time to tell me what codes to change, I'd really appreciate it.

I really like how K2 works but still trying to figure a lot out. I didn't have problems adding mods and changing things in joomla. Unfortunately many mods to display content don't work with K2 yet...

K2Joom said:
Let me know if that makes sense or if you need extra help with that.

Regards,

K2Joom.com

More
14 years 7 months ago #78804 by Simon Wells
"Your second idea is the newest setting I have. I have K2 as my homepage and it's set to show the category description (to get my welcome message to show) then featured items under that. I would prefer to have the newest, not featured items there. Also setting it to show featured items only creates the sidebar problem.."

Instead of featured items, set the Item Ordering set to Most Recent First. Remember to turn off your featured items.

• HomesteadMommy
More
14 years 7 months ago #78805 by HomesteadMommy
That's what I have it set at now. The problem is it's not showing just the 1st newest item but all of them...You can see on the home page it shows 3 items from the video section before going to the next. I only want the newest one... Doesn't seem to matter what settings I use. If I use featured only it works but them moves the side bar to the bottom. If I use newest items etc. then it tries to show all the ones in a category.

K2Joom said:Instead of featured items, set the Item Ordering set to Most Recent First. Remember to turn off your featured items.