Keyword

Category Ordering

• Buddy Q
  • Buddy Q's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 7 months ago #79252 by Buddy Q
Category Ordering was created by Buddy Q
I am using menu of K2 > listitems > categoriesHowever, the ordering options are for the actual items themselves and not the categories. I have a real estate site where I want to show the category "Active Listings" always above the category "Sold Listings". However, I can't do this. There are no other category options. How can I do this until this feature can be added to a K2 upgrade? Because none of the options will be okay. Is there some hack I can use in the meantime to order the categories by the order I have the categories or ID?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #79253 by d.k.shukla
Replied by d.k.shukla on topic Category Ordering
Hi
Category listing in K2 2.2 is working perfectly, Please select list by order during creation of category listing menu K2 » Itemlist / Category and after ward change category order as per your requirement.
It may help you

• Buddy Q
More
14 years 7 months ago #79254 by Buddy Q
Replied by Buddy Q on topic Category Ordering
d.k.shukla,

Thanks for the response. However, there is NO way to order by category during creation. The ordering is for "ITEM ORDERING".

To demonstrate, I have created this screen video of my settings and creating a new list and show you whats going on.
www.screentoaster.com/watch/stV0pSQ0ZIR19ZRlpbUltQX1Jc/k2_no_way_to_order_category

Please let me know if i'm missing something.

More
14 years 7 months ago #79255 by d.k.shukla
Hi
Please refer last screen of your video, there is one column order,please change no as your desired ordering and afterward please click save icon top of order column.
It will work
Best wishes

Buddy Q said:d.k.shukla,
Thanks for the response. However, there is NO way to order by category during creation. The ordering is for "ITEM ORDERING".

To demonstrate, I have created this screen video of my settings and creating a new list and show you whats going on.
www.screentoaster.com/watch/stV0pSQ0ZIR19ZRlpbUltQX1Jc/k2_no...

Please let me know if i'm missing something.

• Buddy Q
More
14 years 7 months ago #79256 by Buddy Q
I tried what I think you are talking about. See if this i'm doing it correctly..

www.screentoaster.com/watch/stV0pSQ0ZIR19ZRlVeUl9eXlFS/k2_ordering

More
14 years 7 months ago #79257 by d.k.shukla
it's ok, now you check individual category setting, set the required setting. It is better you should create a dummy category named as template to make setting easy from one place. for other categories please set inherit from template so when you will change in template category setting, same setting will be applicable to all categories.
If you have any difficulty then please send me your website back end link to troubleshoot.
With best wishes.

Buddy Q said:I tried what I think you are talking about. See if this i'm doing it correctly..
www.screentoaster.com/watch/stV0pSQ0ZIR19ZRlVeUl9eXlFS/k2_or...

• Buddy Q
More
14 years 7 months ago #79258 by Buddy Q
Okay, I think I did what you said and I still cannot get it to work. Can you see if i'm doing it right?

www.screentoaster.com/watch/stV0pSQ0ZIR19ZRlRcWVJcV1VW/k2_ordering_sub_cats

More
14 years 7 months ago #79259 by d.k.shukla
Hi
looks everything fine, i will again check and let you know.Please update your k2, it will fix some bugs.

Buddy Q said:Okay, I think I did what you said and I still cannot get it to work. Can you see if i'm doing it right?
www.screentoaster.com/watch/stV0pSQ0ZIR19ZRlRcWVJcV1VW/k2_or...

• Buddy Q
More
14 years 7 months ago #79260 by Buddy Q
d.k. shukla,

I upgraded to the latest one version as you recommended. I can see where the problem is. So i've changed my menu item to only select the Master Listings category.

Category View Options of the Master Listings category I set to show. So there are different levels being shown on the page at once. You have a list of subcategories, and then you have items. You're right that I can order the list of subcategories by order. BUT I cannot list the items by their category. This is the problem. There are no options to sort the content items by category order which is exactly what I am needing. Since the client will be putting in active and sold listings in a random order, I dont know which one they will start with. This makes all the possible options unreliable when sorting the items.

"Category Item Layout", the top tab, is where the sorting needs to happen. I dont even want to show the categories above UNLESS they are able to show the items within right under it like I am wanting. For category item layout, my sorting options are:

Default - by ID I assume. Since they enter sold and active in any way they want, this won't work.
Ordering - can't feasibly order all the content pieces. This is for non-tech people with no time. Needs to be automatic.
Oldest First - Doesn't work because again entered in random order.
Most Recent First - Same as above.
title up and down - The names are addresses which have no bearing on the order. Needs to be by category.
Reverse order - Same problem as ordering problem.
Most popular - not by popularity
Highest Rated - no ratings enabled
Random Ordering - certainly don't want this

The last 3 look like new additions compared to the last version of K2. I think they need to add "By Category Alpha ASC" and "By Category Order" and "By Category Alpha DESC"

Here is a link to the page: 311addieroy.com/listings

You can see I enabled to show sub category by order. It shows only the category names and info by order. Not the category and then its items. You can see below, the items still show "Sold" being at the top even though the category order at the top is Active then Sold.

Can someone tell me how I can add this option? Is there some code I can stick in a couple of places to make this an option?

Buddy

More
14 years 7 months ago #79261 by d.k.shukla
Hi
why not you tried some dedicated component for real estate listing. You will also get advanced search feature to list property. This is just my suggestion. Please have a look www.com-property.com/en/properties.html

Buddy Q said:d.k. shukla, I upgraded to the latest one version as you recommended. I can see where the problem is. So i've changed my menu item to only select the Master Listings category.

Category View Options of the Master Listings category I set to show. So there are different levels being shown on the page at once. You have a list of subcategories, and then you have items. You're right that I can order the list of subcategories by order. BUT I cannot list the items by their category. This is the problem. There are no options to sort the content items by category order which is exactly what I am needing. Since the client will be putting in active and sold listings in a random order, I dont know which one they will start with. This makes all the possible options unreliable when sorting the items.

"Category Item Layout", the top tab, is where the sorting needs to happen. I dont even want to show the categories above UNLESS they are able to show the items within right under it like I am wanting. For category item layout, my sorting options are:

Default - by ID I assume. Since they enter sold and active in any way they want, this won't work.
Ordering - can't feasibly order all the content pieces. This is for non-tech people with no time. Needs to be automatic.
Oldest First - Doesn't work because again entered in random order.
Most Recent First - Same as above.
title up and down - The names are addresses which have no bearing on the order. Needs to be by category.
Reverse order - Same problem as ordering problem.
Most popular - not by popularity
Highest Rated - no ratings enabled
Random Ordering - certainly don't want this

The last 3 look like new additions compared to the last version of K2. I think they need to add "By Category Alpha ASC" and "By Category Order" and "By Category Alpha DESC"

Here is a link to the page: 311addieroy.com/listings

You can see I enabled to show sub category by order. It shows only the category names and info by order. Not the category and then its items. You can see below, the items still show "Sold" being at the top even though the category order at the top is Active then Sold.

Can someone tell me how I can add this option? Is there some code I can stick in a couple of places to make this an option?

Buddy