Keyword

Need Downloads List Extension. K2?

• jethrodesign
  • jethrodesign's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 6 months ago #79933 by jethrodesign
Need Downloads List Extension. K2? was created by jethrodesign
Hi, I'm a bit familiar with K2 as it was used on a site we previously designed. Someone else did the work with it, though, so I'm not completely familiar with all it can do.
Here's what we need:
A fairly simple publications download listing for newsletters and similar. These will all be PDFs. On the main Publications page, the client would like to have a list of downloads with each showing a thumbnail of the publication cover, a small write-up, possibly date/size/etc, and a way to click to download. Having a separate 'details' view (I guess this might be the actual item view) may not be completely necessary, as most of the info will probably fit on the default 'category' view (which I'm assuming will be the main Publications Download page).

While we could use something like DocMan for this, I think K2 might be more flexible, especially in regards to showing a specific thumbnail for each download and not just a basic PDF icon.

Now the TRICKY part might be that these items also need to show up on some sort of home page 'Latest News' type of module when added, along with any other new articles from other areas of the site. 

- Can K2 items be 'pulled into' any sort of 'Latest News' module like most articles can? Any recommendations for an extension to do this?

Thanks! Trying to come up with a creative solution that I'm hoping won't be too complicated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 months ago #79934 by Simon Wells
Replied by Simon Wells on topic Need Downloads List Extension. K2?
Hi Jethro,
I think there is no problem to make what you want.
K2 has its own content and tools modules, so you can create latest items modules.
There are also some other 3rd party extensions that can be used too.

We have basic examples of all K2 modules working at k2joom.com

Take a look, then let me know if you need further advise.

Simon
K2Joom.com

• jethrodesign
  • jethrodesign's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 6 months ago #79935 by jethrodesign
Replied by jethrodesign on topic Need Downloads List Extension. K2?
Thanks for the info.

So do you think a K2 module for pulling in latest items on the home page would also be able to pull in other normal articles, or just K2 items? We kind of need both, as the K2 items will only be for our publications downloads, but other articles would need to be highlighted as well.

Thanks again.