Keyword

Browse vs Browse server

• jeanette hustad
  • jeanette hustad's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 6 months ago #80180 by jeanette hustad
Browse vs Browse server was created by jeanette hustad
When adding an image from the image tab in K2 i get two options for inserting an image:

1. Browse

2. Browse server

I have trouble understanding the difference/point of having both options.

I did select "1. Browse" to find an image on my local disk. Selected an image and pressed Save. After a while it timed out with the following error: Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 60 seconds exceeded in xx/www/administrator/components/com_k2/lib/class.upload.php on line 4308

But when using "2. Browse server" i browsed the media directory and at the bottom of the page i could select to upload this file from local disk. The file were now uploaded without any problem.

It is so easy to fail here, cause when selecting 1 i thought to myselves that the file would be uploaded when i saved the article. But it did not, it failed to upload.

I dont get the point here, can anyone please explaine it to me, when are "Browse" to be used and when are "Browse server" to be used ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 months ago #80181 by piperchick
Replied by piperchick on topic Browse vs Browse server
Hi Jeanette,

There seems to be some problems with the image upload for files larger than 1mb (in spite of what your php.ini file dictates). I have not been able to resolve this, and it seems to be an intermittent problem.

1. Do you get a blank screen when you used "browse server"
2. When you "browse" do you get the blue message near the top of the screen that tells you your "changes have been saved" but they are not? In fact, your image didn't upload at all?
3. What happens if you upload a smaller file (less than 700 kb)?
4. Did you ever get your images successfully uploaded and to appear? f so, which method did you use?

If we can figure out why this doesn't work for some people, perhaps we can get a fix.

• jeanette hustad
More
14 years 6 months ago #80182 by jeanette hustad
Replied by jeanette hustad on topic Browse vs Browse server
i have tested to see, and here are the results:

I am using an image of 4992 x 3320 pixels, total 2,56 MB

1. Created new article, selects an image (not uploaded) from the media list and pressed save. After a little while i get the following error msg: Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 60 seconds exceeded in /home/3/s/spectationo/www/administrator/components/com_k2/lib/class.upload.php on line 4311

The article are saved but no image is inserted in the article.

2. Created new article, selects an image from local disc and pressed save. After a little while i get the following error:
Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 60 seconds exceeded in /home/3/s/spectationo/www/administrator/components/com_k2/lib/class.upload.php on line 4312

There is no message that the article are saved, but it is saved without any image in it.

3. I can upload a file at 153kB using "Browse server" without any problem. I can insert a file from disk using "Browse" around same size without any problem.

But what i also notice is if i insert an image and go back to insert a new one. The new one are visible on the front of the article, but backend the old one still stays. So if i do this a couple of times i have no clue of which image is inserted for the article when looking at it backend. (This is another problem but i just mention it since we are at the image solving stuff :-))

4. Yes i get the message "Changes to Item saved". Tested with both "Browse server" and "Browse" when selecting a smaller image.

Really hope you can fix this!
It is difficult to hand over this to my client with no image upload option that works. I would actually liked to see an option to resize the image during upload also. My client is going to use digital images and as it works today he must actually make them smaller first and that should not be the case.

I have this problem on my site, if you like i can give you access to further check it out ?

For the record, i have tested to upload this image directly by using jce and that works just fine.

• jeanette hustad
More
14 years 6 months ago #80183 by jeanette hustad
To sum it all up:

i cannot UPLOAD big images, and i cannot INSERT big images using k2.
I can upload the big image using jce and media manager. But i still cannot get it inserted using k2.

The image should be uploaded when using k2, and inserted in the article with the "small" "medium" and so on sizes according to what you have choosen. I also would like when uploading this big image that it should be downsized to f.ex. the "XL size" which are set in the defaults for k2.

• jeanette hustad
More
14 years 6 months ago #80184 by jeanette hustad
The large image was just for testing purposes.
My client is going to upload digital images and they are quite large, so therefore i tested this with a big image. Cause I cannot expect the client to use photoshop, so thats why i would like the image to be resized automaticly at upload so that it will be saved in a smaller size. I am not going to display such large image :-) I am only displaying medium images which i have set to 300 pixles.
But the fact is, the image is initially large, and i need it uploaded - preferrably resized when uploaded.

Hope this made my situation more understandable ?

• jeanette hustad
More
14 years 6 months ago #80185 by jeanette hustad
Thanks for trying anyway :-)

Actually glad to see that you also experience the same issue, hopefully there is a bright head out there who can come up with a workaround for this version.

cheers,
jeanette

More
14 years 6 months ago #80186 by Simon Wells
Replied by Simon Wells on topic Browse vs Browse server
Hey Jeanette,

Fancy finding you here.

Yes, it is an issue.
There are some reported cases of being able to modify server files, as yet, not got it working at K2joom.

I will have a chat to a couple of other users, might have some updates.

Simon

jeanette said:Thanks for trying anyway :-)
Actually glad to see that you also experience the same issue, hopefully there is a bright head out there who can come up with a workaround for this version.

cheers,
jeanette

• jeanette hustad
More
14 years 6 months ago #80187 by jeanette hustad
sticks like glue :-)

No doubt in my mind that you'll find a solution !

K2Joom said:Hey Jeanette,Fancy finding you here.

More
14 years 6 months ago #80188 by piperchick
Replied by piperchick on topic Browse vs Browse server
I'm looking forward to it, too!

jeanette said:sticks like glue :-) No doubt in my mind that you'll find a solution !

More
14 years 6 months ago #80189 by Matt Bingham
Replied by Matt Bingham on topic Browse vs Browse server
I have the same issue.
On the item, after using the Browse server
I get Changes to Item saved after applying - although nothing seems to be saved.

On the item, after using the Choose File
Choosing a 11K JPG file.
I get Changes to Item saved after applying - although nothing seems to be saved.

Additional notes
I have noticed that after clicking Apply, additional HTML for the content of the item is being added:
(substitute "{ and }"for greater and less than)
{p} {/p}
{p},{em} {/em},{/p}
] " - It appears an these lines of code are added every time I click apply - thus adding HTML content.

It would be great if this worked - I am currently having to turn category images off, in favour of a description image.
Let me know if there is any more info I can supply to help any one troubleshoot this.

Using K2.2 / Rocket Theme (J 1.5.15) / Testing on remote shared server