Keyword

Latest Video Module for K2... or how to maximize video exposure?

• Different Color
  • Different Color's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
14 years 1 month ago #80211 by Different Color
Perfect! So the movie players in the inside right margin - are those playing from K2? And I assume you have the problem you mentioned that they have the sized the same as the in-content player in order to play as a module (which kind of sucks for me)...

martha

Craig Pearson said:Here's some pics of how it's looking so far:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 month ago #80212 by Alan Sparkes
I am uber busy but want to jump in. It's not too hard to get a video thumbnail from a YouTube URL. So if the goal is a module of video thumbs or better a module that is a slideshow ov thumbs that loads videos and scrolls/carousels thumbs I think I have a solution but lack time to implement.
Is there a written spec for the end goal here?
:)Martha Moody said:Perfect! So the movie players in the inside right margin - are those playing from K2? And I assume you have the problem you mentioned that they have the sized the same as the in-content player in order to play as a module (which kind of sucks for me)...
martha

• Different Color
  • Different Color's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
14 years 1 month ago #80213 by Different Color
Ultimately the goal for my project is to have Latest Video thumbs and titles on the home page - which lead you to the full video and maybe a brief description with it. Then I'd also like to have all the same videos on a Videos Page for browsing in a visual way (like thumbs or mini-players).

The idea for this project (a local newspaper) is to do Video Advertising - like little commercials - for local businesses that are goofy and weird enough to inspire viral linking. We want them all easily accessible and viewable on the website - and displayed in a way that catches the eye and makes it irresistible to avoid clicking on.

I'm skeptical about this working - but my team is REALLY interested in pulling this off - so I need to find a solution! We use K2 already for the news content and we have a tight budget and it's all volunteer.

www.villagechronicles.net

Martha

Alan Sparkes said:I am uber busy but want to jump in. It's not too hard to get a video thumbnail from a YouTube URL. So if the goal is a module of video thumbs or better a module that is a slideshow ov thumbs that loads videos and scrolls/carousels thumbs I think I have a solution but lack time to implement. Is there a written spec for the end goal here?
:)Martha Moody said:Perfect! So the movie players in the inside right margin - are those playing from K2? And I assume you have the problem you mentioned that they have the sized the same as the in-content player in order to play as a module (which kind of sucks for me)... martha

More
14 years 1 month ago #80214 by Craig Pearson
As mentioned the fix for that was to set the plug-in to the minimal size you would use in a module. In My picture examples the page player IS bigger (not by a lot but it's 300w and the module is 250w). But I have no intention using the video player in the module for the reason mentioned by Alan - there is no thumbnail for the video (unless the first second of the video is an image I suppose). I'm using directly loaded videos not Youtube but because of the different ways you can add a video I don't know what the best way to work that for the player. In our current sites were using flowplayer and the thumbnail is manually set.

But if all your interested is in just showing thumbnails then just use what I said previously, add a main image to the video article, have it set to not show on the actual video page and set the module to show image, title, text, what have you (but not video) and you got your thumb leading to the video page (set the video page option to autoplay the video if you want too)

Martha Moody said:Perfect! So the movie players in the inside right margin - are those playing from K2? And I assume you have the problem you mentioned that they have the sized the same as the in-content player in order to play as a module (which kind of sucks for me)...
martha

More
14 years 1 month ago #80215 by Alan Sparkes
Not perfect but this might help..

<div class="catItemVideoBlock">
<a href="%3C?php%20echo%20$this-">item-&gt;link; ?&gt;" title=""&gt;
<span class="catItemVideo&lt;?php if($this-">item-&gt;videoType=='embedded'): ?&gt; embedded"&gt;
</span></a>

</div>

More
14 years 1 month ago #80216 by Alan Sparkes
Well that was rubbish post! See atached from a category_item.php template from a project

Only works with google and youtube videos and .co.uk but you can change the code easy enough
Attachments:

More
14 years 1 month ago #80217 by Craig Pearson
Note: I've since discovered if your uploading a video via the admin it will place the video in /media/k2/videos/ directory.
It uses the article ID number to name the file so it would be like 704.flv. If you upload a jpg with that name (704.jpg) it will be the thumb on the video - not the most intuitive but it works.

More
14 years 1 month ago #80218 by Craig Pearson
Update on Video with K2 - Getting a good result with this now so thought I'd share. The site I showed previously is on hold (due to the sudden sale of all our companies - I'll be looking for a new Job after the year transition - yeah!).

I have another site we have implemented this on. So notice on the Video page (K2 item page) We have re-arranged the content (using a new template set for the K2 video categories called video). This showcases the video at the top and dropped the additional info area below the social stuff.

In K2 we created an extra field group called 'video' and added a text field called 'more video' - in that text field I have a default entry that calls a module (in the shot - Latest Videos CCTV) using the Modules Anywhere plug in (look for it on joomla extensions site). This will now call the mod_K2_content module I have set for this category. Note it has a scroll bar - We have added this custom to the module and I have included it here. (Note: the default call will only happen to new items you add - if you have added items already to the category you will need to go to the extra field of that item and add the module code there)

mod_K2_content:
To use just replace your standard mod files with these (back up first) and if your using a custom module template you need to replace line 14 (id="k2ModuleBox area) wHich adds the scroller call and overflow info. Then go to your module parameters and under advanced you will find scroller - default is auto in which no scroll bar will show - change to 100px and (if your content listed is more than that) you will get scrollable content. This doesn't work in IE6 but it will show all content in that browser instead of breaking.

so to recap:

• Copy default K2 template
• Set new 'video' template up the way you want by rearranging the code
• Set up your Video categories to use this template and set any parameters for the categories (use a master category to avoid setting up all categories) - like not showing the K2 image on the item page (since video it the main focus)
• Add a Extra field group and Text Field (for each category) and apply to the categories you want it to be part of
• Create a mod_K2_module for each category to display content related to that category as you see fit (If using custom - turn on scroller in advanced if you want)
•Using Modules Anywhere plug in, place the call code like {module 10079|xhtml} as needed per category - module will only be shown below your main video stuff on the video item page

Done - this seems to work well with more flexibility than we have with things like Seryet but it depends what your looking for in a video display system for your site.
Attachments: