Keyword

Latest Video Module for K2... or how to maximize video exposure?

• Different Color
  • Different Color's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
14 years 6 months ago #80201 by Different Color
K2 might be the wrong way to do a video section on my website - but maybe it would work out? We have a newspaper website and want to start doing little advertising videos - with a corresponding article. Ideally I'd like to have a video component in place that displays the videos like www.cnn.com/video/ or something similar.  But in liu of that - maybe we can use K2 articles.  But how do I advertise my LATEST VIDEO's in a module on the site via a K2 module?  Or maybe there is a module solution out there that pulls videos from a directory and displays them in the module position for preview?   Any suggestions for K2 or otherwise?  I'm open! Martha

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Different Color
  • Premium Member
More
14 years 6 months ago #80202 by Different Color
I've been reviewing Video Content Systems... and the only one that seems set-up out of the box to display videos and have the right feel is JOMTUBE - but it has horrible reviews. I wish I could get some solid recommendations. I'm willing to spend money, because i want it to work out of the box and require very little set-up to just display the gallery/latest/popular/etc...

martha

dave said:Martha. If all you need is a video component solution, then k2 is probably not the way to go. It is more of a CCK (content construction kit) and an alternative to the default joomla article system.
k2 uses the allVideosPlugin for displaying videos anyway. So if all you need is a video player I would look into allVideos plugin, or allVideos Reloaded.

That or HWD video share.

As far as displaying a module to promote featured videos... I can't help much there. Im sure that HWD video share can do this... but I have not used it. Unless you are going to have a lot of videos being added all the time you could just create the module by hand and update it when needed. For example create a new "Custom HTML" module in any position you like. And then make some thumbnails of your videos... add some hyperlinks to the thumbnails... position the thumbnails in a nice little grid with some inline CSS and publish the module.

Hope that helps at least a little bit.

More
14 years 6 months ago #80203 by Mark Banks

More
14 years 1 month ago #80204 by Craig Pearson
I have to disagree - I find great potential in using K2 as a video directory from my initial tests. Currently all our sites are using Seryet but it's cumbersome and really we want the flexibility of using videos in content as well as a directory and contain it to admins usage (note: not talking a social video type directory).

So what I've done is made a copy of the default template, called it video and set my main video category(s) to use that template, turned off the things I don't want to show (author, etc.) and re arranged the template files so that video is up where the main picture would normally be text beside it, use the main image only for category and module areas. Now using the K2content module you can set up your latest, most viewed etc. type models to show only from videos - add them to a tab set up (Tabs sliders works) using modules anywhere in a content page and you got a pretty good set up that gives you more flexibility than some video systems.

For instance, I could create an new text area extra field called "advertisement" and have an ad appear below the video area by dumping our add code there - with seryet I'm locked into the single page call so the advertising code would be the same on all video pages instead of "I want this add to appear with this video".

The only big if for us is the flexibility of the video player. I haven't got to it yet but if the player can be replaced or upgraded to truly use more professional features of at least the JW player then we're set. We need the google analytics plug-in, we need advertising plug-in, we need the extras offered by other plug ins to truly make it all work.

IF anyone had instructions on how to upgrade the player with these features (the player swf I can upgrade it's the code plug in that needs the implementation) please feel free to share your knowledge.

More
14 years 1 month ago #80205 by Craig Pearson
I should add that the key thing here is with K2 I can have a video directory, a normal article based site, a product style directory all by using the same back end interface without having to train users on how to use them if they were different things. Very powerful when it comes to training those who aren't easily trained.

• Different Color
  • Premium Member
More
14 years 1 month ago #80206 by Different Color
That's exactly what I'm hoping to achieve. Is there a way to do a module that shows 'latest videos' with the titles and thumbnails of like 6 recent videos? Basically pulling the video thumb instead of the image in the article.

Also, can I play videos in a module from K2 content?

Will K2 display the video big on the content view - or do you have to click on a link to open it?

Craig - if you have your site link to share, I'd love to check it out!

martha

Craig Pearson said:I should add that the key thing here is with K2 I can have a video directory, a normal article based site, a product style directory all by using the same back end interface without having to train users on how to use them if they were different things. Very powerful when it comes to training those who aren't easily trained.

More
14 years 1 month ago #80207 by Craig Pearson
You should (with the new K2) have a module called K2content - this will enable you to do what you wish including only showing items that have videos (but I set to the category that has videos anyways) and set them any number of ways for order.

You CAN display the video player itself but as mentioned in other posts there is no control over size so if your main setting for player is larger than the area your placing the module, thats an issue.

You should be able to set the size for the player on the page via the page set up itself (either by menu item or by category or the individual page - all have a page parameter for video size there - mine is using the category parameters that filter to all pages below it).

Sorry site is internal but should be done in a few weeks. I'll post a link then.

Martha Moody said:That's exactly what I'm hoping to achieve. Is there a way to do a module that shows 'latest videos' with the titles and thumbnails of like 6 recent videos? Basically pulling the video thumb instead of the image in the article.
Also, can I play videos in a module from K2 content?

Will K2 display the video big on the content view - or do you have to click on a link to open it?

Craig - if you have your site link to share, I'd love to check it out!

martha

Craig Pearson said:I should add that the key thing here is with K2 I can have a video directory, a normal article based site, a product style directory all by using the same back end interface without having to train users on how to use them if they were different things. Very powerful when it comes to training those who aren't easily trained.

More
14 years 1 month ago #80208 by william white
@craig
For instance, I could create an new text area extra field called "advertisement" and have an ad appear below the video area by dumping our add code there - with seryet I'm locked into the single page call so the advertising code would be the same on all video pages instead of "I want this add to appear with this video

I have used iJoomla.com's AdAgency to solve the problem of custom adds in a joomla site wether k2 or not. I havent tried to integrate the adds directly into a k2 item but you really dont need to as it will place them in any spot you choose on the template. Only drawback is that its branded to one domain, but it works well.

More
14 years 1 month ago #80209 by Craig Pearson
Also of note. Since we can't change the video player size in the K2content module you can set the allvideo plug-in size to the size you want it to be in the module, then bypass that minimal size whereever your using videos - so for instance I've set the plug to show video at 250w x 180h. Then went to the K2 video category and in it's parameters under the 'Item view options', set video size to 400w x320 (or whatever). Do the same for the other areas in that category params that show this option if your displaying those areas as well.

More
14 years 1 month ago #80210 by Craig Pearson
Here's some pics of how it's looking so far: