Keyword

RSS Feed Query

• Pam McCormac
  • Pam McCormac's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 6 months ago #80390 by Pam McCormac
RSS Feed Query was created by Pam McCormac
Hello All

I'm new to Joomla and K2 - please excuse me as I'm bound to use all the wrong terminology...

My query is - how do I get an RSS feed set up to work with Feedburner? 

I can find the feed for Joomla articles - but as all the content is in K2 - there is nothing in the feed.
All help very very welcome!Thanks a millionPam

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 months ago #80391 by piperchick
Replied by piperchick on topic RSS Feed Query
Hi Pam,

In Category -> Category View Options you can turn the RSS on and off. There are more global parameters in the Parameters area of K2.

Stephanie

• Pam McCormac
  • Pam McCormac's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 6 months ago #80392 by Pam McCormac
Replied by Pam McCormac on topic RSS Feed Query
Thanks so much for replying Stephanie.

I think I've cracked it !!!!! YEEEEEHAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe I'm a control freak (yes probably!) But I want to have a view of how many people are subscribed and who they are.

So thought the best way of doing that is to offer one subscription point for the whole site and make sure it was going through my feedburner account.

For others interested in doing the same - this worked for me.

1. publish a K2 content module pulling the content you want. (I stuck a recent articles one in my footer)
2. Switch on the RSS feed on that new content module.
3. Click the RSS icon and copy the feed address to feedburner
4. Use html module to publish the feedburner rss details

Hey presto - embarrassingly easy - but it has taken me all afternoon to work out.

Thanks again
Pam

More
14 years 6 months ago #80393 by Alexis Valera
Replied by Alexis Valera on topic RSS Feed Query
Hi PAM

I use your method and it work pretty well but i have some issues with it

When we use SEO forms in the configuration i pull all the checks

My site runs pretty well

But the links to the rss dont work when they are all check

I need the seo optimization in my site becouse is a news site

How we can fix this

need to install some other component or make some other tricks

Please help us out here

thanks in advance

best regards

• Christian Matthieas
  • Premium Member
More
14 years 1 month ago #80394 by Christian Matthieas
Replied by Christian Matthieas on topic RSS Feed Query
This is insane rediculousness they haven't addressed this issue.

• Christian Matthieas
  • Premium Member
More
14 years 1 month ago #80395 by Christian Matthieas
Replied by Christian Matthieas on topic RSS Feed Query
Thanks Pam I was able to do this because of your post. I taylored this for my RockTheme so I wanted to post it here for anyone else that might be searching and have found you to help.!!!

So here is the deal and I will create a youtube vid when this is all over and it will tell you how to take your blogs on your website and combine them all to a latest blogs format and give an RSS feedlink that can be brought into Feedburner )) Happy Happy Days

1.) First, go to your K2 global parameters settings in your K2 component and enable RSS Feeds and if your using feedburner then leave the settings the same only changing something like feed count (for large blog communities on your site you might to want this number to be higher lets say 100 or something. Click Save and go to your modules.

2.) Second, go modules and type K2 and go to the module K2_content. Go in there and set up your parameters to be the same pretty much for RokNewsPager settings. Now, don't try to be slick and choose settings that probably won't work for what content to show i.e. like most commented if you're using Jcomments... Jcomments has its own RSS feed capabilities and if someone wants to subscribe to comments they can via your Jcomments but I digress. Just don't do it. leave at default or latest (i think are the same) for mine I left it at default.
Then go to the bottom or where it says RSS icon below and make sure that is a yes.
***Make sure to also put in your item number here. It is very important because these settings in this module override the global settings it seem like. In fact now that I am thinking I think the global settings might just be for the User (blog) pages... Again, make it height if you have a lot of blogs and what not. mines at 100 for now.

3.) for now put the module in a placement that is visible ***FOR NOW**** you need the link right :-)))
Ok with that said, go to your page look at the setup make sure it is too your liking as far as content is concerned i.e. avatars won't show up in RSS feeds per say with this link so don't worry about stuff like that.

4.) Make sure TO NOT set up a content limiter i.e. 10 words to get a link back if your going to use Feedburner... You can set this up with them and it will be MUCH Better so just leave this as is... Remember at the end of this you're going to get a feedburner link that you can attach to whatever little icon or thing your want to :-) So let FeedB do the work.

5.) Once you have the link via right click and copy shortcut that is all you need for Feedburner or at the very least attaching a link that is a lot more attractive than a little RSS Icon they give you.

6.) Now lastly, and most importantly!!! Make sure this module is ENABLED but on the menu items choose NONE... TADA...

You now have a FEED LINK that can be used for FEEDBURNER or whatever and you don't have the UGLY Latest Content from K2 to deal with.

So happy