Keyword

Image extra field type

• jamesrward
  • jamesrward's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 6 months ago #80861 by jamesrward
Image extra field type was created by jamesrward
The lack of this makes K2 not a true CCK in my opinion.  The idea that every user needs just 1 image and an image gallery does not sound like a construction kit to me.  It sounds more like a box, a fairly small one at that.Simple example: I am doing a site for a recreational vehicle dealership in K2 and I am quickly regretting it.  Each unit needs a nice cover image for top level category listings, a gallery of images for the inside and outside of the unit AND an image of the floor-plan of the unit.  In this simple scenario I have run into the limits of what K2 is capable of doing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 months ago #80862 by FeSys
Replied by FeSys on topic Image extra field type
Totally agree with you " James".

More
14 years 6 months ago #80863 by Heather
Replied by Heather on topic Image extra field type
I am confused. Why can't you use the "insert image" to simply put any additional images inside the listing?

Or include the galleries in the content, and break them up as you see fit?

Or, hire a programmer to customize K2 for you, then make your money back 10 times over by selling it to others who see the need for a second (or third) single image integration?

Rereading, I think I could come off as sounding a bit confrontational. I hope not. I am curious as to why you feel the lack of that one thing is a deal breaker, with those other options available to you.

• jamesrward
  • jamesrward's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 6 months ago #80864 by jamesrward
Replied by jamesrward on topic Image extra field type
Hi Someex,
I am aware of all the options you suggested but I do not want the images within the content block on my site layout and both the galleries and insert image option would force me to do that.

As for the "hire a programmer" option, this is a feature request forum and I am requesting a feature. Seems to make sense to me.

I didn't say it was a deal breaker, I said it makes it not a true CCK, in my opinion, images are a very basic element of a quality content construction kit and this deserves attention by the joomla works team. If they want to sell it I would be happy to buy it as I did with Simple Image Gallery Pro.

I appreciate your input and hopefully some people who stumble across this thread will be able to use the work-arounds you mentioned but they are not a good option for me and from what I have seen on the forums I am not alone.

More
14 years 2 months ago #80865 by Ron Farber
Replied by Ron Farber on topic Image extra field type
I too, have run into the same situation. I need one image to show on modules outside of the article (lets say a scene from a movie), then when inside the article, I want a movie poster to be pulled from a second image field, along with the corresponding video that is in the video field.

There are many scenarios that a second image would be nice, and the simple workaround for now is possibly to upload your images yourself somewhere and create a new text field for the second image URL pointing there.... then use that somehow behind the scenes in your template to pull the second image. I do agree that there should be an additional field type option to add a second or third or fourth image or video as well while the concept is being thrown around.

More
13 years 8 months ago #80866 by Carlos Flores
Replied by Carlos Flores on topic Image extra field type
Go with Flexicontent. they have the image field available. And they have a favorite buttons. Its pretty cool.

Dont get me wrong k2 is cool but when you need more power go with flexicontent.

More
13 years 1 month ago #80867 by rexkramer
Replied by rexkramer on topic Image extra field type
I remember "Fotis" did a comment on this topic somewhere... sorry, couldn't find it. He said, there will be an image field... but that was already in the 2.4.x days ;-)