Keyword

Images, Bugs, Work-arounds, tricks all needed

• Mongo
  • Mongo's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 6 months ago #80898 by Mongo
OK as I bet you've already figured out.. I'M NEW! but I have a pretty good grasp of what K2 is and what it does from my experience with JReviews. I wanted to use K2 because of it's article styling, I could fashion JReviews in the same way but I didn't want the directory feel to the articles. With that being said and already running into issues with K2, I thought it would be best to load up a post with as many fixes as possible for the common errors of K2 that have fixesSuch as..1. Image sizing in the articles, why doesn't that work and is there a fix to resizing them dynamically, how is it properly done, and do you need to add px behind the value, when will the fix come if there isn't one now.2. Integration with Jomsocial is still and issue, a few people are hard at work trying to solve it but that seems to be a missing core project. Although K2 is community based, some things should be put in a high priority status for the programmers of K2 to assure stability. is it in the works? when will it happen, why hasn't it happened.3. SEF why isn't there more documentation on SEF, What SEF component works best with K2 and why.4. Is there a way to limit the item images with CSS using clip and resizing until we can get them to work dynamically?5. are there a list of website that have a wealth of ducumentation for newbies to get past the learning curve K2I think this is a good start.. i don't want this thread to get side-tracked, if anyone can answer these questions I would appreciate it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 5 months ago #80899 by Frants Combrink
Replied by Frants Combrink on topic Images, Bugs, Work-arounds, tricks all needed
You raise some good points there Mongo. I want to add one which I thought K2 will solve for me easily.

6. The ability to add multiple fields to a article is great, but one needs to be able to do more than just have extra fields to look at. Those fields should allow for database management. Fields should be used to link articles to other articles or user profiles. Have a look at how MS Access (not sure about other database software) create tables. One can have two tables with information that is different to each other, but by using fields, one can link those to tables and create a new table with all the information on one table. This allows you to edit one table without affecting the related table. This is a function which I expected with Joomla as its database driven (disappointment when I didn't find it), and I expected K2 to capitalize on this function with the use of fields. The spin-off is is also to be able to use fields as links (like a integrated system filter or menu category). If I click on any of the displayed fields it will take me to a listing of all content that includes that field(s).

7. The more its said the better - Documentation

8. CSS. Better integration and more options. I am struggling to layout my pages at the moment, and it seems I will have to go into the code, which as a newbie, I am not looking forward to as it drains time resources.

I enjoy what K2 is offering me so far and with the second website I am applying it to it will work wonderfully, the first (which lead me to K2) is still a problem.

• Mongo
  • Mongo's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 5 months ago #80900 by Mongo
Well as far as databases, you can actually do what Access doe and more with php and Mysql all you have to do is learn how to do left and right joins with SQL.. I know, I know, more stuff between your dream site..

I guess I've come to realize it's com_content or com_k2.. I have to choose and I don't like it.. it's a lateral move.. I lose something and gain something no matter which I choose, so why move at all?

More
14 years 5 months ago #80901 by Frants Combrink
Replied by Frants Combrink on topic Images, Bugs, Work-arounds, tricks all needed
Sorry what? AHAHHAHAHAHA

Will have to look into that.

I find K2 is super easy to learn and get around. I think I'm gonna try jSeBlod a bit more, I just wish it was easier to learn. What I like about jSeBlod (wink K2 team) is that you create fields whilst you create the form, which is nice in a sense. Off course it all depends on the application which is more applicable.....of which that sentence has some redundancy. Personally it seems to me K2 is wonderful if you just want to display extra info which is captured easily, but not if you really want to use that extra info. BUT, please, it seems like it to me, no K2 expert; or Joomla for that matter.

Let me look into that thing you said about my left and right hand....thingy. Thanks Mongo for that bit of info.

Happy trails

Mongo said:Well as far as databases, you can actually do what Access doe and more with php and Mysql all you have to do is learn how to do left and right joins with SQL.. I know, I know, more stuff between your dream site..