Keyword

com_content and com_k2 WHAT!

• Mongo
  • Mongo's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 5 months ago #81430 by Mongo
com_content and com_k2 WHAT! was created by Mongo
I want to thank K2 and Gavick because you guys have made me a better Joomla user, The 2 weeks of sleepless nights trying to work out the logic of a site I wanted to make came to a screeching dead end because of the following issue. Now the question I want to ask may seem noobish but I need to ask it.GavickPro modules use com_content and K2 uses com_k2, sense K2 can't use com_content based modules why on earth would Gavick promote K2 on their templates when 90% of the people uninstall it to use FlexiContent, jSeblod CCK or some other CCK thats com_content capable.I shelled out the money for JReviews. man was that a learning curve but it prepared me for the basics and logic of any CCK including K2. I really like K2 and want to find some answer to this com_content/com_k2 issue because I really want to use K2 on all of my sites.Now is there any way that I'm not aware of where people are adapting com_content modules for K2? is there any solution to this issue? are there any plans for a plugin ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Mongo
More
14 years 5 months ago #81431 by Mongo
Replied by Mongo on topic com_content and com_k2 WHAT!
Crickets,... Crickets...Crickets..... Someones gonna answer this, I know I'm not alone in thinking this way from all the emails I get from different people.. i just seem to be the only one voicing it.. I need an answer..

• Mongo
More
14 years 5 months ago #81432 by Mongo
Came up with a real ugly solution, I dont think I'll use it but i did test it and it worked. Basically all you do is build your site with K2 as usual, but when you need a story or article in a com_content module you just take the image and a few line and paste it in a article. and do a before-load redirect OUTCH! hurts even saying it. all directories in com_content would have to be replicated in K2 or you would go mad trying to figure out where to set the options on the modules double work.. Now for those that don't have 72,000 articles it may be an option.. but for me.... hmm never mind today isn't a good day to be banned. Now would you people stop being politically correct and help me solve this.. ??

More
14 years 3 months ago #81433 by sigpro_firsttry
Replied by sigpro_firsttry on topic com_content and com_k2 WHAT!
Hi Mongo!

That´s really an interesting question as it would be great advantage to use all the com_content plugins and modules available.

For single modules or plugins it might be just as easy as replcacing "com_content" with com_k2"? Or is that complete nonsense...

The other interesting thing in your post is that you already tried jreviews as well and compared it against K2. I am in the same situation now.

Would you mind giving a little statement for what reason you switched from jreviews to K2?
This is a burning issue here now. Maybe we can save a lot of time NOT trying jreviews and better directly get into action with K2?

Thanks for any statement from you!

More
14 years 3 months ago #81434 by william white
Replied by william white on topic com_content and com_k2 WHAT!
From my reading here on the forum it has gone like this. K2 Can do many things now, and will be able to do more and more as time goes on. Many sites are using it now and every day it gets better.
See - community.getk2.org/profiles/blogs/k2-powered-joomla-websites?xg_source=activity
Most mix joomla articles for some things, and k2 items for most things. Trying to move back and forth regulary with articles to items and items to articles will make lots of work. CMS means less work if used as designed.

• Mongo
More
14 years 3 months ago #81435 by Mongo
Well I don't think I'll get rid of Jreviews, it's light years ahead when it comes to integration with other components. Example: Jomsocial - member reviews, Event list - event reviews. But Jomsocial when it gets out of beta will have events, galleries, movies, music, and basically everything that Jreviews integrates with. So you have to ask yourself do you want to use a solid state component like Jomsocial to handle those site features or use Jreviews to patch them together.

Then you have to look at design and aesthetics, K2 just simply looks better when it comes to item pages, with or without a Gavick template, I find myself designing Jreviews pages to look like K2 pages. Whomever designed the K2 Item page layout I tip my hat. K2's progressions has been amazing, I screamed for Gavick to redesign News GK1 and they came out with News GK4 K2 capable now they need to do GK Image Show for K2. But the way K2 handles thumbnails just bugs me, just too much pre-thought and no fexibility.

Sigpro_firsttry to wrap this up, Alejandro will always keep Jreviews in the loop, although it lacks design it remains the best option when you need flexibility. Owners of Jreviews like us have to make a big choice, design over function.

sigpro_firsttry said:Hi Mongo! That´s really an interesting question as it would be great advantage to use all the com_content plugins and modules available. For single modules or plugins it might be just as easy as replcacing "com_content" with com_k2"? Or is that complete nonsense...

The other interesting thing in your post is that you already tried jreviews as well and compared it against K2. I am in the same situation now.

Would you mind giving a little statement for what reason you switched from jreviews to K2?
This is a burning issue here now. Maybe we can save a lot of time NOT trying jreviews and better directly get into action with K2?

Thanks for any statement from you!

More
14 years 3 months ago #81436 by sigpro_firsttry
Replied by sigpro_firsttry on topic com_content and com_k2 WHAT!
Dear Mongo (This way it sounds a bit silly...),

thank you very much for this quite extensive "review". This confirms my suspicion in terms of design vs. function.
I will take the vacancies for making the final decision.

My main problem with K2 is just about the frontend submission as (with the problematic popup and standard Joomla editor/buttons/look and-feel) it doesn´t really satisfies me.
The image capatibilities lack some quite important features like uploader, captions, image-ordering.
But some of these are also present at jReviews.

I already tried breezingforms as an alternative to the K2 Submit "form". This has some big advantages like field validation, multi-page layout but also has other issues...

Yes if jReviews would be more accepted by templaters i wouldn´t think about any alternative. On the other hand - K2 got such a great CCK within a very short time. There is a good chace that K2 will get even better in even less time than jReviews.

Thanks and best regards!

• Mongo
More
14 years 3 months ago #81437 by Mongo
I had this conversation early on when I first bought Jreviews I couldn't understand why Alejandro didn't design Jreviews to be more user friendly. I soon realized that there was a direct relation with ( user control ) and ( user friendly ) if you want more control you pay for it with more difficulty. I think K2 has settled into a position where it has mastered both at a reasonable experience level right out the box. But Jreviews is only limited by your imagination and experience level.

At this point I can make Jreviews look just like K2, you wouldn't know the difference. but with all the Jreviews perks, and none of the K2 limitations. Once you've designed your templates it's all gravy. But for those that don't want to spend cash and be up all night for weeks, lose your woman because you don't have time to bang her. K2 is the obvious choice :>)