Keyword

Is it possible to copy extra fields into another extra field group?

• piperchick
  • piperchick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
14 years 5 months ago #81823 by piperchick
Hi,In the absence of the ability to add extra fields for a category, I would like to copy an extra field into another extra field group.  I have a long list of items in a drop-down box and this drop-down box applies to many items in different categories.  I don't want to re-key for every extra field group.I don't mind using mySQL, I just don't know how to create the query.My specifics:Category for "People"Sub-cat for "Atheletics" (extra field group regarding sport, team, position, etc.)Sub-cat for "Politics" (extra field group for political party, level of government, years in office, etc.)Sub-cat for "Military" (extra field group for regiment, honours, rank etc.)Many other sub-cats for arts, entertainment, science etc.There are some fields which are common to all "People" such as place of birth, death, cemetery. I am trying to maintain some control in these areas, so I would like to use drop-downs.  The problem is there are a lot of options and to re-type for every extra group...Any help is appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• piperchick
  • piperchick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
14 years 5 months ago #81824 by piperchick
I figured out a work-around.

This thread advises on how to hide empty extra fields: community.getk2.org/forum/topics/hide-extra-field-if-value-is-1?id=3536014%3ATopic%3A7585&page=3#comments

By implementing the advice there, I was able to create a single "Extra Field Group" for "People" and only fill in the relevant fields. The others will not appear.

More
10 years 1 week ago #81825 by Mohammad
hi, I have the same problem.
I want to copy extra fields from a category to another category.
please help?

• Mohamed Abdelaziz
  • Platinum Member
  • Joomla Developer
More
10 years 6 days ago #81826 by Mohamed Abdelaziz
Hi Mohammad,

Do you want to copy extra fields from a group to another group?

Please explain your request with more details.

Multiple Extra Fields Groups for K2
AutoMeta for K2
Chained Fields for K2
More K2 Extensions In My Extensions Store

More
10 years 6 days ago #81827 by Mohammad
Dear Mohamed,
I have and extra field group named "A" that includes more than 150 extra fields.
I have made a new extra field group named "B" that most of its extra fields will be similar to extra fields existed in group "A". So while there is no copy option in K2 extra fields, i have problem to make 150 new extra field for my new groups such as B, C, D, E etc.

if there is any solution to copy extra fields in a group to another group?
hope you understand.

• Mohamed Abdelaziz
  • Platinum Member
  • Joomla Developer
More
10 years 6 days ago #81828 by Mohamed Abdelaziz
I think it is possible to work directly on the database, but you have to change the extra fields names for each group, so it is not easy nor practical to change the name of 150+ extra fields.

I guess that you want to use the copied extra fields in different categories, the limitation of assigning only one group to a category makes it difficult for you to reuse the fields.

If so, you can have a look at the MEFG plugin, it enables assigning multiple groups to a category, then you can reuse the extra fields without copying them.

Multiple Extra Fields Groups for K2
AutoMeta for K2
Chained Fields for K2
More K2 Extensions In My Extensions Store