Keyword

K2 + J! SEF + mod_rewrite - Helps with Menu Links append ?layout=item

• Simon Wells
  • Simon Wells's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
More
14 years 5 months ago #82246 by Simon Wells
This is not a bug!!OK, for once I am stuck and hope someone can help with a couple of issues.
I turn on Search Engine Friendly URLs from Configuration, then my menu links are formed with ?layout=item at the end of the url this then produces 500 - Layout "item" not found error.
How do i prevent component/k2/item being displayed immediatley after the domain and before the file link?

Can anyone offer advice?SimonK2Joom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 5 months ago #82247 by Mark Matheson
Simon

Do you have the SEO Patch from Joomlatwork (www.joomlatwork.com/products/free-downloads/seo-patch-joomla-15.html) installed?

I had a similar problem on one of my sites with menu items having "layout=item" appearing, and I think removing that patch fixed it for me.

Mark
The Little Acorn

• Simon Wells
  • Platinum Member
More
14 years 5 months ago #82248 by Simon Wells
Hi Mark,
Unfortunately, no, that plugin is not installed.

More
14 years 4 months ago #82249 by Mark Matheson
Simon

I have found when this issue occurs for me, and it involves two very specific settings: -

1. I use a K2 Item as my Front Page item, linked to my Default menu item
2. I use redirects in the login module, in my case YooLogin, that redirects the login.logout functions to my Default menu item

When a user logs in or logs out, the URL ends up with "layout=item" at the end of it. If I remove the redirects, or use a normal Joomla article as my Front Page item, the problems does not arise.

Sounds like my issue is a little different to yours, but thought it might help you diagnose your issue further.

Mark
The Little Acorn

K2Joom said:Hi Mark, Unfortunately, no, that plugin is not installed.

• Simon Wells
  • Platinum Member
More
14 years 4 months ago #82250 by Simon Wells
Just wondered if there was anyone with J! SEF and/or mod_rewrite /.htaccess skills that could help me on this.

Simon
K2 Support

More
14 years 4 months ago #82251 by robbie
Hi Simon,
Did you manage to find a solution for this problem?
Im getting the same problem. The url has "?layout=item" or "?layout=category" added at the end.

Cheers
Rob

• Simon Wells
  • Platinum Member
More
14 years 4 months ago #82252 by Simon Wells
Yes, its will be something addressed in 2.3, but i have been able to overcome it with a modified .htaccess file.

This has worked for me with my host, but with a client on a different host, running the same template and same K2 version, it does not work.

Add me as a friend and send me you email and I will send it to you to test.

Simon
K2 Support

Robert Harrison said:Hi Simon, Did you manage to find a solution for this problem?
Im getting the same problem. The url has "?layout=item" or "?layout=category" added at the end.

Cheers
Rob

More
14 years 4 months ago #82253 by Chris Yates
Simon,

I've found that that aceSEF Pro together with the K2 plugin is a fabulous solution to SEF issues and delivers faultless SEF url's without fail.

The pro version also auto generates meta description and keywords for each item and category and auto pings Google, Yahoo and Bing plus other services at configurable time intervals from immediately to yearly dependent on update frequency of specific items or categories.

The latter is important if you want the main search engines to take more notice of your site.

Hope that gives you food for thought.

Be Well,

CHRIS

K2Joom said:Yes, its will be something addressed in 2.3, but i have been able to overcome it with a modified .htaccess file.
This has worked for me with my host, but with a client on a different host, running the same template and same K2 version, it does not work.

Simon
K2 Support

Robert Harrison said:Hi Simon, Did you manage to find a solution for this problem? Im getting the same problem. The url has "?layout=item" or "?layout=category" added at the end.

Cheers
Rob

More
14 years 3 months ago #82254 by Francis Darren
I'm having the same issue "component/k2/item". How do we prevent this? Did you find a solution?

More
14 years 1 month ago #82255 by Marty Peet
Hi Chris, I decided to try out AceSEF after reading Chris's post, guess what? I get the same problem, ?layout=blah, blah, blah

Chris Yates said:Simon,
I've found that that aceSEF Pro together with the K2 plugin is a fabulous solution to SEF issues and delivers faultless SEF url's without fail.

The pro version also auto generates meta description and keywords for each item and category and auto pings Google, Yahoo and Bing plus other services at configurable time intervals from immediately to yearly dependent on update frequency of specific items or categories.

The latter is important if you want the main search engines to take more notice of your site.

Hope that gives you food for thought.

Be Well,

CHRIS

K2Joom said:Yes, its will be something addressed in 2.3, but i have been able to overcome it with a modified .htaccess file. This has worked for me with my host, but with a client on a different host, running the same template and same K2 version, it does not work.

Simon
K2 Support

Robert Harrison said:Hi Simon, Did you manage to find a solution for this problem? Im getting the same problem. The url has "?layout=item" or "?layout=category" added at the end.
Cheers
Rob