Keyword

Simple question

• Giorgio
  • Giorgio's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 4 months ago #82696 by Giorgio
Simple question was created by Giorgio
HiLet say I need to do a website like the example(see picture).The main column of news, would it be done with the component OR with the modules?Are these done with component subtemplating and backend parameters?More detail of the question on the picture:

I'm asking this in order to take the correct path when doing some tests and exploring..., I mean, I could spend days trying to achieve this with Modules when the Component was the way to go or something.I don't like everything I read so far about laying out articles and such, they refer to when one clicks on a CATEGORY layout!, but what about the FRONTPAGE layout like those Newspaper websites with more than 60items, where suddenly the Main area which is suppose to be outputted by the component becomes not so clear.I received some responses on other posts and I'm checking them too.Do anyone knows a company that gives k2 support service /guidance?, I mean, is natural not everybody has the time to give free support on a forum.thank youGiorgio

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 months ago #82697 by Daniel Proczko
Replied by Daniel Proczko on topic Simple question
Very good question! Did you ever find a solution for this issue? I am in the middle of such a project.

My first instinct would be to go with Modules for a frontpage layout and then use the component layouts for the actual categories. Although this solution works its not extensible.

There is a K2 Menu item "Latest items from (one or more) users or categories". You can select 1 column and the number of categories you wnat to show. THen scrolling farther down you can select the exact categories and order you want the to render in. Then just use CSS and template overrides to get the visual style you want.

I think that will work, no?

More
14 years 2 months ago #82698 by Daniel Proczko
Replied by Daniel Proczko on topic Simple question
Daniel Proczko said:Very good question! Did you ever find a solution for this issue? I am in the middle of such a project.

My first instinct would be to go with Modules for a frontpage layout and then use the component layouts for the actual categories. Although this solution works its not extensible.

There is a K2 Menu item "Latest items from (one or more) users or categories". You can select 1 column and the number of categories you wnat to show. THen scrolling farther down you can select the exact categories and order you want the to render in. Then just use CSS and template overrides to get the visual style you want.

I think that will work, no?

I tried my own advice and it didn't work. All I got was a huge list of articles.

After tinkering with some of the code I found out that the default template controls the "Latest items from (one or more) users or categories". That means to have the individual items render in the format you're wanting you'll have to rewrite some of the latest.php file in the default template.

I hope that helps.

More
14 years 2 months ago #82699 by william white
Replied by william white on topic Simple question
From the Description in Mod_K2_content
" K2 Content is the primary "content" retrieval module for K2. You can set various category and item element filters to display a number of items coming from the K2 component. Using multiple copies of this module (with varying settings) you can achieve complex news publishing/magazine site layouts. "

a template with multiple modules in the 960 type format could be used to display various copies of Mod_k2_content

More
13 years 8 months ago #82700 by James Anderson
Replied by James Anderson on topic Simple question
A bit of an old post but how do you post multiple copies of k2_content? I have two modules setup but it is not pulling the two sets in the same styles. One is in the k2 Template and the other is in a list.?

Any help would be awesome!
William White said:

From the Description in Mod_K2_content " K2 Content is the primary "content" retrieval module for K2. You can set various category and item element filters to display a number of items coming from the K2 component. Using multiple copies of this module (with varying settings) you can achieve complex news publishing/magazine site layouts. "

a template with multiple modules in the 960 type format could be used to display various copies of Mod_k2_content