Keyword

Joomfish and K2: how do they work together?

• Helvecio
  • Helvecio's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 4 months ago #83824 by Helvecio
I just installed K2 and Joomfish on a test site to check how it goes.I don't seem to understand though, how Joomfish sees the content created in K2.Am I missing anything? Thanks for your help.Helvecio aka Elvis

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 4 months ago #83825 by Joe Stokes
Replied by Joe Stokes on topic Joomfish and K2: how do they work together?
Hi Helvecio,

I am using K2 with Joom!Fish and so far, no problems. K2 integrates very well into Joom!Fish.

Getting to know Joom!Fish is however important.

Let us say that you want to have your site in English and German and that you originally did your site in English.

To use Joom!Fish efficiently, you will have to tell it to copy the original articles/categories/sections/menus etc. into the English language section. So try this:

Select English as the active language in the Language Configuration Tab.

Then under the Manage Translators tab, select the "Copy the original to language". This will copy your original content/menus/categories etc. into the English section.

Once you have done that, select the Translation tab. It will probably show you an empty list.

Select English as the language on the top right combo box and then select which control elements to display. Here you will see how well K2 integrates into Joom!Fish. You can select normal articles, K2 items, normal categories, K2 categories etc.

However, K2 notifies one that "Frontend editing has been disabled because Joom!Fish is installed and enabled in your website". I am not sure how to overcome this constraint, so perhaps someone else in the forum can address this.

I hope that gives you some guidance

Regards

Joe

• Helvecio
More
14 years 4 months ago #83826 by Helvecio
Replied by Helvecio on topic Joomfish and K2: how do they work together?
Hi Joe

Thank you for your reply.

My problem is that I can't see the items I wrote through K2 in JoomFish and I don't understand why.

The integration is not working or I'm missing something I don't know.

I just went through your check list, but no luck!! The greatest problem is that I still haven't figured out how K2 works properly.

My item is publised and featured in K2. I added an item to my main menu. Though featured, it doesn't show in the home-page.

JoomFish is unable to see content created in K2

Joe Stokes said:Hi Helvecio,
I am using K2 with Joom!Fish and so far, no problems. K2 integrates very well into Joom!Fish.

Getting to know Joom!Fish is however important.

Let us say that you want to have your site in English and German and that you originally did your site in English.

To use Joom!Fish efficiently, you will have to tell it to copy the original articles/categories/sections/menus etc. into the English language section. So try this:

Then under the Manage Translators tab, select the "Copy the original to language". This will copy your original content/menus/categories etc. into the English section.

Once you have done that, select the Translation tab. It will probably show you an empty list.

Select English as the language on the top right combo box and then select which control elements to display. Here you will see how well K2 integrates into Joom!Fish. You can select normal articles, K2 items, normal categories, K2 categories etc.

However, K2 notifies one that "Frontend editing has been disabled because Joom!Fish is installed and enabled in your website". I am not sure how to overcome this constraint, so perhaps someone else in the forum can address this.

Regards

Joe

More
14 years 4 months ago #83827 by Joe Stokes
Replied by Joe Stokes on topic Joomfish and K2: how do they work together?
Hi Helvecio,

Welcome to the world of understanding Joom!Fish. I had the same problem. By the way, I've been using both K2 and Joom!Fish for 3 days only, so I am also new at this. I know very little, and it seems as if you also know very little, so let us see how little we both know :-).

Please try the following:

Open your Joom!Fish from the Components tab and select the Translation tab.

If nothing is displayed in the list, select first your language and then the Content element (menus). You should then have a list displayed of all menu related elements.
In the list you should see the following details in horisontal columns:

Title : The title of your original element
Language : The language selected
Translation : The translated text (if this is blank, it means that no translation has been done)
Last modified : This is obvious
State : The state of the translation (see the legend at the bottom of the list)
Published : If the item is published or not (see again the legend at the bottom of the list)

If the Translation column is empty, it means that no translation has been done.

Click on the element title (in your case, the missing menu item) which has no translation.
A new page will open where the original labels and text is displayed as well as the translated items.
Judging by what you have described, you should have empty boxes as translation items.

If this is the case, use the copy icons on the right to copy the original elements into the translations. Do this for every label. The parameters further down should all have copied over by default.

This should solve your problem.

Based on my limited experience in using Joom!Fish, this plug-in can best be described as an extra layer between the original elements and the rendered elements on the site. So if you implement any changes in the base Joomla! side or inside K2, the changes are only done on the original elements. You will still have to go through the translation process with Joom!Fish to render the change on the site.

For me this makes a lot of sense. I can just imagine the chaos that would result if one has more than 3 languages on the site. The beauty is one can now go through the translation of any modified element, language by language. This is great once the site is up.

While you are setting up the site, going through the translation process can be semi automated if you use the process I explained in my original reply. But experience has shown that the site is never in a final state to allow an automated process only once, to get the first translation (the same as the original) established. You will have to play around with this to see which works the best for you.

Hope this helped.

Cheers

Joe

Helvecio said:Hi Joe Thank you for your reply.
My problem is that I can't see the items I wrote through K2 in JoomFish and I don't understand why.

The integration is not working or I'm missing something I don't know.

I just went through your check list, but no luck!! The greatest problem is that I still haven't figured out how K2 works properly.

My item is publised and featured in K2. I added an item to my main menu. Though featured, it doesn't show in the home-page.

JoomFish is unable to see content created in K2

Joe Stokes said:Hi Helvecio, I am using K2 with Joom!Fish and so far, no problems. K2 integrates very well into Joom!Fish. Getting to know Joom!Fish is however important.

Regards

Joe

• Helvecio
More
14 years 4 months ago #83828 by Helvecio
Hi Joe!

You're right. I know the basics of JoomFish and K2, separately.

In a non-K2 environment, when I create an article in Joomla, then go to JoomFish, I can see this article in the Translations tab when I choose Language/Contents. I know that already.

With K2 I thought I'd had a similar interface. But when I choose Language/Contents, I see nothing. I haven't figured out how to create the translations of the articles I wrote in K2, though.

Thank you for your help.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #83829 by Oceanwatcher
Replied by Oceanwatcher on topic Joomfish and K2: how do they work together?
I am sorry I am a little late to this party :-)

Today I had a similar problem and could not figure out why one site was different from another site I use Joomfish on. And then it dawned on me - the order of the installation matters!

You have to install Joomfish first and K2 after. Then everything will be ok. If you did it the opposite way, then you can just install K2 again to fix it. Remember to do a backup first.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #83830 by Jiliko.net
Replied by Jiliko.net on topic Joomfish and K2: how do they work together?
Hi,

If you've installed JoomFish after K2, and don't want to make a full K2 update, just unzip the K2 zip install file in local and copy/upload all files under "/administrator/components/com_joomfish/contentelements" in the same directory on your website.

Olivier

• Helvecio
More
14 years 2 weeks ago #83831 by Helvecio
Thanks guys!

I realized that a while ago.

I gave up on K2 for the moment. It's not as integrated as I thought. One thing I really disliked about it is how placing an article on the front page is not that easy.

Cheers!

Olivier Nolbert said:Hi,
If you've installed JoomFish after K2, and don't want to make a full K2 update, just unzip the K2 zip install file in local and copy/upload all files under "/administrator/components/com_joomfish/contentelements" in the same directory on your website.

Olivier

More
13 years 11 months ago #83832 by fred

I don't have any directory by that name on my website.
Reinstalling k2 after joomlafish worked sort of.

Anyway let me explain.

I am doing a site for a client.

The translations of the categories and items work fine.

And as soon as I translate a menu item and publish it I am in trouble.

The link (k2 category link) will populate the category with all items from all categories.

With menu item unpublished everything works fine. It finds the right category and corresponding items.

I did notice that joomlfish does not save the translated links (at the bottom of the translation page) after publishing.

I had the same thing with mad4loomla. That was solved by editing a file in com_joomlafish

For now on the test page I have to give the menu item in German and english. Very uncool.

any ideas?

See:
www.fintan-gastro-consulting.ch/nextup/

More
13 years 11 months ago #83833 by Oceanwatcher
Replied by Oceanwatcher on topic Joomfish and K2: how do they work together?
Hi Elvis,

I have seen something like that, and I will try to check what the exact problem was. And what I ended up doing.

You are right, it is not fun to suddenly see something "break", but this is the life of software :-) Let us try to figure it out, report it as a bug and find out what can be done about it.