Keyword

Is K2 the right solution for creating a Bands Listing?

• Stu Smith
  • Stu Smith's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 3 months ago #84020 by Stu Smith
I am creating a site that needs to contain a section called "Bands". What we want is a form a band can fill out for their profile which has some specific fields such as name, description, profile image, genre and be able to upload video, audio and photos to their profile page. Next, we want the band to be able to edit their profile but NOTHING else on our site. Is K2 the solution for this task? We do not want it to be like Myspace but rather a directory listing manageable by the person posting the listing in other words.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 months ago #84021 by troponin
fotis release the UserExtendedPlugin, which will be the right way. As you can see here I am working to pimp this plugin a little more, with a little help from my friends (Simon, Olivier :)).
Future Advanced Options :

- Show Tweets
- Show Images
- Show Video
- 2 Custom Tabs Admin can decide which input can be made.

I think this is what you are searching for.

So the band can fill the Profile. All News, Cd Releases the User 'Band' will post would be shown under the Profile and in the specified Categorie.

But remember K2 insn't a Social Web Application. If you need more Options you should use JomSocial.

More
14 years 3 months ago #84022 by Simon Wells
I agree with Troponin.
When are we testing the new release ;) hahaha.

It is also possible using the User Groups setting to be able to control what access the bands can have and which categories too.

Regards,

Simon
K2 Support

More
14 years 3 months ago #84023 by troponin
it depends on the weather here in Germany ;) Rainy Days make the Coder Heart beat ;)

sry 4 x-posting

• Stu Smith
More
14 years 3 months ago #84024 by Stu Smith
I see your point. I do not want to get into the complex nature of social netoworking since that is beyond the scope of what we want.

So here is a compromise scenario. Band fills out a form and submits it. We on the other end post it to their profile listing. If they need to make a change request they goto a seperate form to request to update a specific field or media object.

The idea here is we do not want the bands to treat this like a MySpace but rather as a Directory Listing.

List your Band Here for example

Then they will be able to submit to contests we have online and visitors can read about the band that is in contest. Make sense?

Your plugin sounds promising to ease the admin burden, keep us posted!

More
14 years 3 months ago #84025 by Simon Wells
Hi Stu,

As standard, K2 expands on user management by allowing the User Group permissions.

You could set up a User Group called Band Submissions, then allow then to create items and edit own items and limit this action to just a specific category such as Band A category.

You would need to do some administration such as when Band B signs up, you can then create their User Group and limiting their write access to just the Band B category.

I hope that makes sense.
If not, let me know and perhaps we could go through a live walk through to explain further.

Regards,

Simon
K2 Support

• Stu Smith
More
14 years 3 months ago #84026 by Stu Smith
I will try a test and see if it is practical. Setting up a sub group for each band is what you are saying? The onyl trouble I see is we do not know what Band A or Band B will be called until they submit their info.

Simon Wells (K2 Support) said:Hi Stu,As standard, K2 expands on user management by allowing the User Group permissions.You could set up a User Group called Band Submissions, then allow then to create items and edit own items and limit this action to just a specific category such as Band A category.You would need to do some administration such as when Band B signs up, you can then create their User Group and limiting their write access to just the Band B category.I hope that makes sense.If not, let me know and perhaps we could go through a live walk through to explain further.Regards,SimonK2 Support

More
14 years 3 months ago #84027 by Simon Wells
Sorry, maybe I was being to complex.

Start off, by allowing them to register first, that way you have basic information for them.
It is also possible to set what permission that have as soon as a registration is complete.

For example, on simon.getk2.org, I have allowed all new registration immediate access to be able to write their own items and edit own items, but can only do so in the "Members" category. This I think is very similar to what you wish to do.?

Regards,

Simon
K2 Support

• Stu Smith
More
14 years 3 months ago #84028 by Stu Smith
Ah I see. When a user registers I can give them access to write new items to lets say content category "Bands". Then they will have write access to create and edit their OWN posts but NOT others. Right? So does this mean they can create more than one band post if they want? There would be no way to limit the number of posts they can sunbmit I imagine with the K2 core. But we can perhaps onyl allow posts with admin approval? We ideally only want one band post per registered user. But if this is not possible with core then they can add as many bands as they want or we enable approvals. Just want to confirm that the user will not be able to edit any other than their own.

Simon Wells (K2 Support) said:Sorry, maybe I was being to complex.Start off, by allowing them to register first, that way you have basic information for them.It is also possible to set what permission that have as soon as a registration is complete.For example, on simon.getk2.org, I have allowed all new registration immediate access to be able to write their own items and edit own items, but can only do so in the "Members" category. This I think is very similar to what you wish to do.?Regards,SimonK2 Support

More
14 years 3 months ago #84029 by Simon Wells
Hi Stu,

Yes that is right.
Once the permissions are in place, they can submit and edit their own items.

If you want to test, go to simon.getk2.org and register.
Once activated, you can then login and you will see a Add a new Item link in the K2 login module on the right side.
Go ahead, create an item.
Once save, go to the my page, it will then display your items which you can then edit.
Take a look in the members category, there will be a link from your item as that will be saved in that category.
You should then be able to edit just your items that are listed.

Regards,

Simon
K2 Support