Keyword

MySQL & none access to my site

• Tony Langham
  • Tony Langham's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 3 months ago #84625 by Tony Langham
MySQL & none access to my site was created by Tony Langham
Am slowly reading through what you can do / hos to on K2 and tried to do something on my site and after changing something on the Global section a message has come up: Database error. unable to connect to the database: Could not connect to MySQL.

As i've not much experience maybe one of you can tell me what to do please.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 months ago #84626 by william white
Replied by william white on topic MySQL & none access to my site
What did you change?

• Tony Langham
More
14 years 3 months ago #84627 by Tony Langham
Replied by Tony Langham on topic MySQL & none access to my site
Some of the boxes on Global configuration but cannot remember which ones. If you think you've enough knowledge to rectify this c-up by silly old man then I can send you the username / p/word as it doesn't contain anything of monetary / security value?

William White said:What did you change?

More
14 years 3 months ago #84628 by Simon Wells
Replied by Simon Wells on topic MySQL & none access to my site
Tony,

Sounds like you have changed/removed details that relate to the database needed to retrieve the stored data.
This could be either you db name, db user, password etc.

Who did you Joomla install?
Was joomla installed through cPanel?
Did you get an email with your DB settings?
Do you have access to your hosting account, that in turn has access to your phAdmin.

If you host is nice enough and you dont have that info, then they may be able to restore a backup.
Although this is now a Joomla support issue, there is sufficient support here to help you through this.

I would even goes as far as saying, that I think you need someone to access your hosting account to obtain your database settings and then update server file to fix this.

Does any of that make any sense?
Trying not to over complicate this for you.

once resolved, I think it best we then point you in the directions of the Joomla documents wiki.

Send me a Private Message if you need help, or I am sure William is able to help too.
But dont go giving your login details to just any one, ask me first and I can recommend some like William.

Simon
K2 Support

• Tony Langham
More
14 years 3 months ago #84629 by Tony Langham
All is ok now; it was an issue with MySQL but I wouldn't reommend BlueHost to you. Thanks for reply

Simon Wells (K2 Support) said:Tony,Sounds like you have changed/removed details that relate to the database needed to retrieve the stored data.This could be either you db name, db user, password etc.Who did you Joomla install?Was joomla installed through cPanel?Did you get an email with your DB settings?Do you have access to your hosting account, that in turn has access to your phAdmin.If you host is nice enough and you dont have that info, then they may be able to restore a backup.Although this is now a Joomla support issue, there is sufficient support here to help you through this.I would even goes as far as saying, that I think you need someone to access your hosting account to obtain your database settings and then update server file to fix this.Does any of that make any sense?Trying not to over complicate this for you.once resolved, I think it best we then point you in the directions of the Joomla documents wiki.Send me a Private Message if you need help, or I am sure William is able to help too.But dont go giving your login details to just any one, ask me first and I can recommend some like William.SimonK2 Support

More
14 years 3 months ago #84630 by william white
Replied by william white on topic MySQL & none access to my site
Please tell us what the issue was

• Tony Langham
More
14 years 3 months ago #84631 by Tony Langham
how long have you got? What happened was that I didn't follow the Cpanel correctly.I had a domain that I'd paid for Bluehost to set up and then lost an Indian sponoser [ several grand involved ]and had this project going round in my head that had been suggested by lots of different people / groups etc. I read thru' bits about Joomla 1.5 and thought I could do that [ WRONG ] you must read thru' it all as Ruth c will testify! If I'd done this bit then nothing would have been wrong. The only thing I'd recommend doing is really hammering the host provider that should do everything to help you, especially after they've had a chunk of your pension!
Create a Database User

After creating the database, a user will need to be created and their privileges added to the newly created database. Please note that MySQL user accounts must be created separately from mail and web administrator accounts.

To create a new user account:

1. To quickly access the MySQL Users interface, click Jump to MySQL Users.
2. Under Add New User, enter a username.
* Note: The username must be 7 letters or shorter.
3. Enter a password in the Password field.
* For help generating a strong password, click the Generate Password button.
4. Retype the password in the Password (Again) field. *make sure to copy the password or write it down*
5. Click Create User.

Define a User's Privileges

Privileges define how the user is able to interact with the database. For example, they will determine whether or not the user can add and delete information.

To define a user’s privileges:

1. Under Add User to Database, select a user from the User drop-down menu.
2. From the Database drop-down menu, select the database to which you wish to allow the user access.
3. Click Add.
4. From the MySQL Account Maintenance screen, select the privileges you wish to grant the user, or select ALL PRIVILEGES.
5. Click Make Changes.

You have now created a user and assigned it to the proper database. Then, you can use the File Manager from the Files section of cPanel to edit the configuration.php file. If the configuration.php file has 444 permissions, you will need to temporarily change them to 644 permissions so that you can edit and save the file. You will insert the correct database user name and password that you have just created. You would then save the changes and then change permissions to 444.

William White said:Please tell us what the issue was