Keyword

Bug with tags - Items are not displayed

• Chrysovalantis Mochlas
  • Chrysovalantis Mochlas's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 2 months ago #85122 by Chrysovalantis Mochlas
Bug with tags - Items are not displayed was created by Chrysovalantis Mochlas
Hi there,First of all thanks for the great extension. I have recently installed the newest version of K2 and since SEO is very important for me, I tried K2 with all Joomla's SEO functions enabled on a local server installation (XAMPP 1.7.3). The local Joomla installation used Greek UTF-8 as the standard Joomla language.I created a category, then just one item for that category. I assigned a couple of tags to the item, some written in English and some in Greek. I detected the following bug: when used the Greek letter "ρ" in any of the tags and clicked on it no items were displayed on the page! I tried all Greek letters (not the capital ones) and saw that the issue lies only upon using the letter "ρ"!Please see if you can reproduce the bug on your own system and let us know if you have found a fix for that. Thanks in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Chrysovalantis Mochlas
More
14 years 2 months ago #85123 by Chrysovalantis Mochlas
Replied by Chrysovalantis Mochlas on topic Bug with tags - Items are not displayed
Anyone???

• Chrysovalantis Mochlas
More
14 years 2 months ago #85124 by Chrysovalantis Mochlas
Replied by Chrysovalantis Mochlas on topic Bug with tags - Items are not displayed
...any feedback from the developers would be nice!

More
14 years 2 months ago #85125 by Lefteris
Replied by Lefteris on topic Bug with tags - Items are not displayed
Hi. It seems that you are right. I m not sure yet what's causing this but as it occurred when you turned on SEF it may be something with the Joomla! router class.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Chrysovalantis Mochlas
More
14 years 2 months ago #85126 by Chrysovalantis Mochlas
Hi Lefteris and thanks for the answer. Are you sure it's an issue of Joomla's router? I'm asking you because I know that K2 uses a router too for the links generation, doesn't it? The thing is that it affects only one letter of the Greek alphabet "ρ"! I don't get it.. I tried for example some other extension, called "Joomla Tags", which doesn't have any problem working with Joomla's own router and generating the right URLs. I wonder if this is a K2 issue. Either way it makes K2 pretty useless for Greek websites, because the letter "ρ" is used very very often in the Greek vocabulary and you know that! I hope this issue is going to fixed some time soon.

Lefteris Kavadas said:Hi. It seems that you are right. I m not sure yet what's causing this but as it occurred when you turned on SEF it may be something with the Joomla! router class.

More
14 years 2 months ago #85127 by Lefteris
Replied by Lefteris on topic Bug with tags - Items are not displayed
Hi. It seems to be PHP's parse_url function problem. More specific Joomla! uses parse_url when constructing the JURI object ( line 772 at /libraries/joomla/environment/uri.php ). The parse_url function for some reason converts the greek character 'ρ' to an unspecified character. And because K2 uses the tag string to find your items it finds nothing.

Chrysovalantis Mochlas said:Hi Lefteris and thanks for the answer. Are you sure it's an issue of Joomla's router? I'm asking you because I know that K2 uses a router too for the links generation, doesn't it? The thing is that it affects only one letter of the Greek alphabet "ρ"! I don't get it.. I tried for example some other extension, called "Joomla Tags", which doesn't have any problem working with Joomla's own router and generating the right URLs. I wonder if this is a K2 issue. Either way it makes K2 pretty useless for Greek websites, because the letter "ρ" is used very very often in the Greek vocabulary and you know that! I hope this issue is going to fixed some time soon.
Lefteris Kavadas said:Hi. It seems that you are right. I m not sure yet what's causing this but as it occurred when you turned on SEF it may be something with the Joomla! router class.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Chrysovalantis Mochlas
More
14 years 2 months ago #85128 by Chrysovalantis Mochlas
Well as I said before it makes K2 pretty useless for Greek websites, no matter what. I mean, there is already a stand-alone extension for Tags generation, which works just fine with all Greek letters; why couldn't K2 manage to do that too?!

Lefteris Kavadas said:Hi. It seems to be PHP's parse_url function problem. More specific Joomla! uses parse_url when constructing the JURI object ( line 772 at /libraries/joomla/environment/uri.php ). The parse_url function for some reason converts the greek character 'ρ' to an unspecified character. And because K2 uses the tag string to find your items it finds nothing.
Chrysovalantis Mochlas said:Hi Lefteris and thanks for the answer. Are you sure it's an issue of Joomla's router? I'm asking you because I know that K2 uses a router too for the links generation, doesn't it? The thing is that it affects only one letter of the Greek alphabet "ρ"! I don't get it.. I tried for example some other extension, called "Joomla Tags", which doesn't have any problem working with Joomla's own router and generating the right URLs. I wonder if this is a K2 issue. Either way it makes K2 pretty useless for Greek websites, because the letter "ρ" is used very very often in the Greek vocabulary and you know that! I hope this issue is going to fixed some time soon. Lefteris Kavadas said:Hi. It seems that you are right. I m not sure yet what's causing this but as it occurred when you turned on SEF it may be something with the Joomla! router class.

• Chrysovalantis Mochlas
More
14 years 2 months ago #85129 by Chrysovalantis Mochlas
So it seems Lefteris was right about the problem with the parse_url PHP function!

I changed the file libraries/joomla/environment/uri.php (Joomla 1.5.18) by commenting out the following lines of code: 744,745,769-773. In this way the function _parseURL will parse the URL with the "old" way as if we were using an older version of PHP.. and guess what, the problem with the undefined character is solved! Now all tags that contain Greek letters (especially the ones with the "ρ" letter) work just fine.

I'm not sure if this fix works with all different versions of PHP (I tested it locally with XAMPP 1.7.3 - PHP 5.3.1 - Joomla 1.5.18), but I'm sure it will help many of you who had the same problem as I did.