Keyword

k2 Directory Listing vs. Sobi2?

• webamos
  • webamos's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 2 months ago #85899 by webamos
k2 Directory Listing vs. Sobi2? was created by webamos
Can I create a Directory Listing that customers can change and upgrade similar to Sobi2?  If so can someone breifly explain the process...I cannot wrap my head around...thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 months ago #85900 by David Feuerstein
Replied by David Feuerstein on topic k2 Directory Listing vs. Sobi2?
hi funny I thought I had replied to this yesterday. Great question and I am also looking for the same solution.
However if K2 doesnt have the same functionality then your options are purchase an improved template for sobi2 or purchase mosets Hot Property component.

More
14 years 2 months ago #85901 by Justin Herrin
Replied by Justin Herrin on topic k2 Directory Listing vs. Sobi2?
I believe you could achieve half of your question by creating a new User Group for your customers. Give that new User Group the following permissions...

Edit Own Items - Yes
Edit Any Item - No
Front-End Editing - Yes
Publish Items - Yes

Then of course create new user accounts for your customers (or have them sign up) and assign them to the newly created User Group.

A custom Category Template could easily handle the front-end display of your directory listings.

Problem is with the "upgrade my listing" option. I don't think K2 offers that feature without an addon/custom coding.

More
14 years 2 months ago #85902 by David Feuerstein
Thanks Justin, So the two main issues seem to be creating a template where it is easy for users to upload images and fill in custom fields and then adding a custom coded module so that they can upgrade their listings whenever they need to.
Appreciate your input
David

Justin Herrin said:I believe you could achieve half of your question by creating a new User Group for your customers. Give that new User Group the following permissions...
Edit Own Items - Yes
Edit Any Item - No
Front-End Editing - Yes
Publish Items - Yes

Then of course create new user accounts for your customers (or have them sign up) and assign them to the newly created User Group.

A custom Category Template could easily handle the front-end display of your directory listings.

Problem is with the "upgrade my listing" option. I don't think K2 offers that feature without an addon/custom coding.

• webamos
  • webamos's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 2 months ago #85903 by webamos
Replied by webamos on topic k2 Directory Listing vs. Sobi2?
Awesome...thanks Justin and David...I will try...

More
14 years 2 months ago #85904 by Justin Herrin
Replied by Justin Herrin on topic k2 Directory Listing vs. Sobi2?
Hi David,

Yes, there does seem to be 2 (maybe even 3) main issues with Victoria's thread question...

1) User managed content - need to create a User Group with proper permissions, assign users to that group, allow them to manage their own content only and not others content. Be sure to check out the K2 Parameters for more show/hide options for frontend editing... Components -> K2 -> Parameters -> Frontend Editing section

2) Give users ability to upgrade their listings - Maybe a custom paid membership component that interacts with K2 needs to be built. I don't know exactly how you would achieve this goal.

3) Custom K2 template for frontend display of listings - be sure to use the template override packages provided by Fotis here... community.getk2.org/forum/topics/k2-template-override-package

More
14 years 1 month ago #85905 by David Feuerstein
Great advice thanks also there is this out-of-the-box component which might do a task comparable with sobi2 but perhaps even better.

ordasoft.com/RealEstateManager.html

Justin Herrin said:Hi David,
Yes, there does seem to be 2 (maybe even 3) main issues with Victoria's thread question...

1) User managed content - need to create a User Group with proper permissions, assign users to that group, allow them to manage their own content only and not others content. Be sure to check out the K2 Parameters for more show/hide options for frontend editing... Components -> K2 -> Parameters -> Frontend Editing section

2) Give users ability to upgrade their listings - Maybe a custom paid membership component that interacts with K2 needs to be built. I don't know exactly how you would achieve this goal.

3) Custom K2 template for frontend display of listings - be sure to use the template override packages provided by Fotis here... community.getk2.org/forum/topics/k2-template-override-package