Keyword

Your Idea Of TAGS are terrible

• pazap47
  • pazap47's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 1 month ago #86365 by pazap47
Your Idea Of TAGS are terrible was created by pazap47
This is not to criticize K2 but hopefully for K2 to advance. I come from Drupal and decided for a certain client to try Joomla . When I saw the downfall of Joomla menu structure compared to K2 that stated "the Drupal CCK" version in Joomla hey let's go for it. OK it's been tough but worked things out UNTIL TAGS (is this suppose to be a version of Taxonomy?). I've been at TAGS for the past week and read reread every imaginable possibilty. Simon says do this but it doesn't work since, I figured, he is using a different version I'm on 2.3. For instance your sense of TAGS with related items by TAG just doesn't work and I've seen plenty of complaints. OK I agree that certain users don't need TAGS in simple websites but if I have to create a site that gets pretty complicated then K2 falls apart with TAGS since this is the heart of my website. And if there are answers as to why don't you buy an extension, I've been screwed too many times to tell my client the company doesn't exist any longer or there are no upgrades. Long story short "...tags are our index to a harmonized website...."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 month ago #86366 by Nick
Replied by Nick on topic Your Idea Of TAGS are terrible
i don't get what u want...

• pazap47
More
14 years 1 month ago #86367 by pazap47
Replied by pazap47 on topic Your Idea Of TAGS are terrible
Sorry Nick for the delay, you are absolutely right I didn't really explain the situation but I'll try.
My idea of tags for instance is when I create a word CAMERA that has various types (names) of LENS for this camera I would like to give the option, through tags show only these lens, why does the tags continue to show everything else that is tagged with these lens. I tried Simon's php modification with no luck. To me tags should be nothing more than a reference to a page number and should let me decide where I should insert this information. The idea of related tags doesn't really make sense to me, in that I've tried with no results (whether it's on or off). I hope I've made sense?

More
14 years 1 month ago #86368 by Kelsey Brookes
Replied by Kelsey Brookes on topic Your Idea Of TAGS are terrible
I'm not really certain what you're trying to say either. Just a hint, paragraphs might help us understand.

If you attach a tag to an article (which can be one word or many) then when you click that tag, every article it is attached to will be presented.

Check out thinksync.com.au/blog. In a recen article I have the tag 'analytics' if you click that, you get a list of articles that have that tag attached.

If you want to offer people the ability to find all Canon lenses via tagging, then all you need to do is to tag every article that discusses Canon lenses with 'Canon Lens'. Lens alone won't do it - it's a generic term that you might apply to Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc.

For example, assume you had these tags: Canon Lens, Lens, Canon, Canon Zoom Lens, Canon 16-35mm Lens, 16-35mm Lens.

Canon Lens - would be used on articles that discuss Canon lenses
Lens - would be used on ANY article that discusses lenses
Canon Zoom Lens - would be used on articles that deal specifically with Canon Zoom Lenses

For the Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8 you'd use all of the tags simultaneously (as well as the others listed above) - that way users could narrow or widen their search easily using tags.

• pazap47
More
14 years 1 month ago #86369 by pazap47
thank you so much Kelsey, my confusion is simply a mental "get my head around this" situation, I suppose I am too use to Drupal's taxonomy obviously my fault, it's just a completely different approach. You've been extremely kind in responding and making it very clear, I can now say "understood" I thank you all.

• pazap47
More
14 years 1 month ago #86370 by pazap47
(Sorry I screwed up responding to myself)
thank you so much Kelsey, my confusion is simply a mental "get my head around this" situation, I suppose I am too use to Drupal's taxonomy obviously my fault, it's just a completely different approach. You've been extremely kind in responding and making it very clear, I can now say "understood" I thank you all.

Kelsey Brookes said:I'm not really certain what you're trying to say either. Just a hint, paragraphs might help us understand.
If you attach a tag to an article (which can be one word or many) then when you click that tag, every article it is attached to will be presented.

Check out thinksync.com.au/blog. In a recen article I have the tag 'analytics' if you click that, you get a list of articles that have that tag attached.

If you want to offer people the ability to find all Canon lenses via tagging, then all you need to do is to tag every article that discusses Canon lenses with 'Canon Lens'. Lens alone won't do it - it's a generic term that you might apply to Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc.

For example, assume you had these tags: Canon Lens, Lens, Canon, Canon Zoom Lens, Canon 16-35mm Lens, 16-35mm Lens.

Canon Lens - would be used on articles that discuss Canon lenses
Lens - would be used on ANY article that discusses lenses
Canon Zoom Lens - would be used on articles that deal specifically with Canon Zoom Lenses

For the Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8 you'd use all of the tags simultaneously (as well as the others listed above) - that way users could narrow or widen their search easily using tags.