Keyword

Frontpage items and HTML characters

• Flavia Silveira
  • Flavia Silveira's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 1 month ago #86480 by Flavia Silveira
Frontpage items and HTML characters was created by Flavia Silveira
I had a validation issue and initially thought it was caused by the SEO Generator plugin I was using. I contacted the developer who in turn looked at it for me.He found that the frontpage items (K2 category in blog layout) didn't out put the HTML characters correctly. For example, if I had a title with & it would generate the title as &amp instead of & same thing with ' it is generated as &#39 instead of '
The ";" is missing from all HTML characters and only on the frontpage. All other pages don't seem to have the same issue.
The issue has been fixed on my site via a little workaround. The developer specified the meta to be used on the frontpage instead of automatically generating them from the content.
I have already tested on a core/com_content site + the SEO plugin and the issue was not present. The site is using UTF-8 encoding so this shouldn't happen.

Let me know if you need any other information in order to debug/troubleshoot this one.

Flavia

Flavia
Geek. Author. Role Player.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 month ago #86481 by william white
Replied by william white on topic Frontpage items and HTML characters
a link to your home page would be good if your not on localhost

• Flavia Silveira
  • Flavia Silveira's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 1 month ago #86482 by Flavia Silveira
Replied by Flavia Silveira on topic Frontpage items and HTML characters
The issue on my site was fixed so there was no point in giving my url since you won't see the issue there.
But if you want to check it out : flahdesign.com
the issue was how the html characters were being output in the content area which in turn was being picked up by the SEO generator plugin and used in the page's description.
Here's what I got from the SEO Generator developer who helped solve the issue which initially I had thought to have been caused by his extension:
"ok, it seems a problem joomla and the ' in the title
i have alsotried to save the nonumbers with ' as keyword in your article
and joomla can not handle this - its alsways dispalyed wrong in the source-text for keywords
for the title-alias joomla will kill the '

but no problem you have the ' on your starting-page (Home) and there you should have the global meta keywords and description for better google ranking
so i have seo-generator set to use the global meta for frontpage
so the error is gone

on all other pages seo-generator is working and creating keywords and description and we have no problem with the '
the w3c validation is ok"

I already checked com_content on a separate install without K2 and couldn't replicate the issue so that is why I posted here since I am not using com_content at all on my site and all articles are solely in K2. BUT it could also be caused by another plugin or component. Since I am not a developer I am just posting my findings and hoping someone could figure out why this is happening.

Thank you in advance,

Flavia

William White said:a link to your home page would be good if your not on localhost

Flavia
Geek. Author. Role Player.