Keyword

Restore to new server breaks K2

• Robert Carrier
  • Robert Carrier's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 1 month ago #86566 by Robert Carrier
Restore to new server breaks K2 was created by Robert Carrier
I am moving 2 joomla/k2 sites from an Apple server (slow) to a godaddy VDS. When the process is complete, text is missing from the front end in both categories and items in most cases. It is however visible in the back end. Re-saving the item or article has no affect. other types of content are unaffected.
I have used both Akeeba and XCloner for this task. I have also completed a manual transfer with exactly the same result. 

I have re-provisioned the server no less than 6 times with 2 different operating systems (centos and fedora), different versions of mysql and php, restoring the site no less than 10 times (I have lost count) from at least 3 different backups. Each time yields the same results.

I installed the site on a second existing server with functional k2 sites in place, with the same result.

Currently, I have the site installed on a freshly re-provisioned CentOS sever with no mods.

The broken site:
temp.fromstreetlevel.com

The original site:
fromstreetlevel.com

I hope someone here will be kind enough to help me with this issue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 month ago #86567 by william white
Replied by william white on topic Restore to new server breaks K2
Just looking at the broken site the joomla/k2 seems to be working
Since you said you use akeeba and xcloner either together and at different times, could some of the paramaters in the k2 item veiw not made it thru to the new site? (from your discussion i figure youve checked the simple things)
I ran joomla and wordpress on godaddy vps with no giltches - after turning on a graphics library (cant remember)

More
14 years 1 month ago #86568 by william white
I did notice that clicking your menu choice
returns this Street Level
Sorry, this version of Glossary requires PHP version 5.2.3 or above
Turn your error reporting on high and see if it will throw an error to help you

• Robert Carrier
More
14 years 1 month ago #86569 by Robert Carrier
Replied by Robert Carrier on topic Restore to new server breaks K2
I have had the PHP version at three different levels throughout this ordeal. While I have seen the glossary plugin work, none of this fixes the problem with K@. To see the problems with K2, you need look no further that the front page. The opening article is suppose to have 4 paragraphs of text, but all that is there is the

tags. You can see them in the source. In the tree articles below the opener, you can see the intro text, but if you select one of them the entire body of text is gone. All that remain are the empty tags.
I hope this helps. I appreciate any help this forum can provide.

• Robert Carrier
More
14 years 1 month ago #86570 by Robert Carrier
New information that could shed light on the problem:

The problem is with the text somewhere, I just cant find it
Here is a simple example. Two pages side by side in the site; The Problem and The Solution (I'm not making this up). One renders correctly, one does not. Find below links to the pages and source copied from the admin side. One interesting note: If I copy the text from the working (Solution) page into the broken (Problem) page, both pages work. The copy is so simple, I can't find a reason for this anomaly here.

Broken page: temp.fromstreetlevel.com/the-problem-from-30000-feet/static-content/the-problem
Today's newest marketing technologies, like all new technologies, have a learning curve. Those of us in the print industry have agreed for years that 80% of our own people would not be able to understand, implement, or sell these technologies.

Our consideration of this industry paradigm led us to a conclusion If 80% of our own staff could not understand these new marketing technologies, then 80% of our clients might not understand either.

Our past track record in selling these newer technologies served to confirm this conclusion.

Working page: temp.fromstreetlevel.com/the-solution-from-street-level/static-content/the-solution
As we went through the process of starting this project, we began to see that our industry had over-complicated these technologies with flowery words and phrases, intending to make them sound somehow magical. By doing so, they had abandoned a large percentage of the market. If we were to be successful, we had to simplify the sales process and bring it down to Street Level.

Against the conventional wisdom, this project breaks these newer technologies down to their smallest parts, describes them, and shows them reassembled for the sake of the 80% (assuming the industry paradigm is true).

This process will guide your sales force and help you close more sales.

I hope this gives somebody a clue to what is going on here.

More
14 years 1 month ago #86571 by william white
Firebug shows the text in div.itemFulltext
and shows three sets of p tags in the other rendering that doesnt work.
something is stripping the text out or replacing it with the p tags

Have you eliminated template problems? What happens in the default milkeyway template when you display these two items?

Also, Try switching the category and see if inheritance is messing things up...
I agree its convfusing.
Back to the server configuration, i would compare the config files side by side fromn the old server and then new server and see if theres anything different.

• Robert Carrier
More
14 years 1 month ago #86572 by Robert Carrier
Changing the template ha no affect. I have turned on debugging. Please provide any assistance possible. I don't want to have recreate this site in joomla's core but I may be required to.

William White said:Firebug shows the text in div.itemFulltext and shows three sets of p tags in the other rendering that doesnt work.
something is stripping the text out or replacing it with the p tags

Have you eliminated template problems? What happens in the default milkeyway template when you display these two items?

Also, Try switching the category and see if inheritance is messing things up...
I agree its convfusing.
Back to the server configuration, i would compare the config files side by side fromn the old server and then new server and see if theres anything different.

More
14 years 1 month ago #86573 by william white
Did you create one item on the old server and the other item on the new vps. I have read about encoding problems before

• Robert Carrier
More
14 years 1 month ago #86574 by Robert Carrier
The problem is fixed. Apparently K2 is dependent on JSON.

Thanks for your assistance. You kept me looking for a solution after I had given up.

Maybe someday I can help you with a problem.

William White said:Did you create one item on the old server and the other item on the new vps. I have read about encoding problems before

More
14 years 1 month ago #86575 by william white
Welcome! Sometimes these things are like columns of numbers that you add over and over and get different answers but are supposed to be the same...If its divisible by 9 something is transposed! Please tell how you fixed it in the vps cpanel or config file or whatever