Keyword

What in Gods Name are Tags Used for in K2?

• Christian Matthieas
  • Christian Matthieas's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
14 years 1 month ago #86796 by Christian Matthieas
What in Gods Name are Tags Used for in K2? was created by Christian Matthieas
I made 60 Tags of various words and do not know what I can do with them except for link a menu item to them. 

Now what I thought would be when I make an item I would be able to assign various tags to that item... Nope I can make "new tags" via the item but I don't know if those will be Tags in the Tag section or Just Tags with the Item itself.

Very confusing... Could somebody please explain this. 

Thanks you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Christian Matthieas
  • Premium Member
More
14 years 1 month ago #86797 by Christian Matthieas
Replied by Christian Matthieas on topic What in Gods Name are Tags Used for in K2?
please is there any information for this

More
14 years 1 month ago #86798 by Simon Wells
Replied by Simon Wells on topic What in Gods Name are Tags Used for in K2?
Tags are used as a way to link items together that are the same relevance.

Lets take a sports website as an example, where various reports on sporting events take place.

Depending on the type of sport, tags could be added such as soccer, football, penalty, red card, draw.
By doing this, users may then want to search for other related items that are about red cards.
This is a great way to link between content, as opposed to the user having links to other non-related content that may be by the same author or category.

New tags can be created in any item construction, simply by typing the name of the tag you want to create and end it with "," or pressing Enter. Example new tag: goalkeeper,
A successful tag will be shown by way of a green background wrapped around the tag text.

Any existing tag can also be used again, simply start typing your tag. As you type and if a tag already exists, then you will see the tag hint appear below your text, this has a black background. Simply press Enter of highlight it and click with your mouse.

You can also use the K2 modules to create a tag cloud to show popular tags across parts of the site.
You can also create tag pages based on a particular tag, so for example you could show all items which contain the tag of RED CARDS.

I hope that helps explain a little more about tags.

Simon
K2 Support

• Christian Matthieas
  • Premium Member
More
14 years 1 month ago #86799 by Christian Matthieas
Replied by Christian Matthieas on topic What in Gods Name are Tags Used for in K2?
wow that makes sense lol, I just didn't know about the new tag versus a tag that was already there.

now of course i am anal so I capitalized every tag when I put them in manually. 2 questions. 1. is that not a good idea and tags should just be lowercase. or 2. it doesn't matter as tags don't recognize case?

Thanks for your respnose

• Christian Matthieas
  • Premium Member
More
14 years 1 month ago #86800 by Christian Matthieas
see I don't see any tag hints for tags I know are there. and in fact, when I start typing the bottom of my i.e. browser says error on page.

Simon Wells (K2 Support) said:Tags are used as a way to link items together that are the same relevance.Lets take a as an example, where various reports on sporting events take place.Depending on the type of sport, tags could be added such as soccer, football, penalty, red card, draw.By doing this, users may then want to search for other related items that are about red cards.This is a great way to link between content, as opposed to the user having links to other non-related content that may be by the same author or category.New tags can be created in any item construction, simply by typing the name of the tag you want to create and end it with "," or pressing Enter. Example new tag: goalkeeper,A successful tag will be shown by way of a green background wrapped around the tag text.Any existing tag can also be used again, simply start typing your tag. As you type and if a tag already exists, then you will see the tag hint appear below your text, this has a black background. Simply press Enter of highlight it and click with your mouse.You can also use the K2 modules to create a tag cloud to show popular tags across parts of the site.You can also create tag pages based on a particular tag, so for example you could show all items which contain the tag of RED CARDS.I hope that helps explain a little more about tags.SimonK2 Support

• Robin Nonnweiler
More
13 years 11 months ago #86801 by Robin Nonnweiler
Replied by Robin Nonnweiler on topic What in Gods Name are Tags Used for in K2?
Hi,

i have a problem with my tags on my items and I hope someone can help me.
If i click on the tag, which is listed under my item, an error 500 (in german: "500 - Seitenansicht nicht gefunden [Name, Typ, Präfix]: itemlist,html,tagView" ) occures. Has anyone an idea to fix it?

Thanks!
Robin