Keyword

sub templates, cannot get it to work

• John Horrocks
  • John Horrocks's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 1 month ago #86940 by John Horrocks
sub templates, cannot get it to work was created by John Horrocks
I have been using Joomla for a year now, and K2 is the best component I have ever used!My question is in regard to the article: community.getk2.org/notes/Templating_in_K2This
article provides a detailed step by step process to create multiple sub
templates. I followed the directions to the best of my knowledge and I
still cannot get my sub templates to work. My goal is to have a
different k2 category and item design for each category that I create.I copied the component/com_k2/templates/default folder and it's files into the folder templates/my_new_k2_template/html/com_k2/templates/ and renamed it to my_k2_template. So the result was website_root_directory/templates/my_new_k2_template/html/com_k2/templates/my_k2_template.After
that, I went into the backend of K2, created a new Category, tried to
change the template, and the only thing that was available was
'default.' I am a little confused! Obviously I missed a very important
step! Could someone please help me! Thanks in advance...www.klcy-kvel.comBrian This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 month ago #86941 by william white
Replied by william white on topic sub templates, cannot get it to work
website_root_directory/templates/my_new_k2_template/html/com_k2/templates/my_k2_template.

I think it should be
website_root_directory/templates/YourCurrentTemplate/html/com_k2/templates/my_k2_template.

• John Horrocks
More
14 years 1 month ago #86942 by John Horrocks
Replied by John Horrocks on topic sub templates, cannot get it to work
Thank you for helping me correct that, some of those details I easily overlook...

However, when I create a category, 'use default' is still the only option given when choosing the template. I cleared the browser cache and even tried it in a different browser. Still the same result.

More
14 years 1 month ago #86943 by Jiliko.net
Replied by Jiliko.net on topic sub templates, cannot get it to work
Hi Brian,

You really have to care about the path, as William has written :

website_root_directory/templates/YourJoomlaTemplate/html/com_k2/templates/my_k2_template

In that folder, there should be the files from the 'Default' K2 template folder.

Olivier

Brian Greene said:Thank you for helping me correct that, some of those details I easily overlook...
However, when I create a category, 'use default' is still the only option given when choosing the template. I cleared the browser cache and even tried it in a different browser. Still the same result.

• John Horrocks
More
14 years 1 month ago #86944 by John Horrocks
Replied by John Horrocks on topic sub templates, cannot get it to work
Thanks everyone for all the help! I have almost got this!

So far I have made 2 simple changes. I copied everything in the folder /components/com_k2/templates/default and pasted it into folder /templates/jp_interactive_j1.5/html/com_k2/templates, then I simply renamed the new 'default' folder to 'restaurant_menus.'

I then went into the K2 back end again, created a new category, and sure enough I am able to select 'restaurant_menus' for the template!! First problem DOWN!

Now when I try to edit the file .../restaurant_menus/category_item.php, no changes occur. It remains the same as the default template category items view when I view it in the browser. I also cleared the cache before I checked it in the browser.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

More
14 years 1 month ago #86945 by Simon Wells
Replied by Simon Wells on topic sub templates, cannot get it to work
Are you sure you want to be editing the category_item.php.

What are you trying to edit?
Are you on the right page?

Simon
K2 Support