Keyword

An Actual K2 Tutorial | This is a little advanced but it's GOOD | And makes sense for word count question you may have

• Christian Matthieas
  • Christian Matthieas's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
14 years 4 weeks ago #87482 by Christian Matthieas
K2 TUTORIAL HERE:********For the more complex part, my blogs page it was a lot more tricky. Here we go. I set up a main category called BLOGS. underneath that category I nested Platinum bloggers and every other blog title I have underneath BLOGS. Beneath Platinum Bloggers I put a category Of my name Christian XXXXX This is CRUCIAL so pay attention. When you set up BLOGS as the main category everything beneath that will be adhering to BLOGS and all of its Parameters IN THE SENSE of you connecting a menu Item to the Category BLOGS. DON'T set up a menu item with multiple categories.. let the nesting do the work. In layman's terms if the category is below the main one you don't have to choose multiple categories ***** the are children items at this point. ***When directing the menu item to categories(s) choose BLOGS ONLY do not highlight every category underneath or it will be considered a "MULTIPLE Category" Listing. *****CRUCIAL. Now make sure that fetch items in children categories which are your subcats but if it is greyed out don't worry I am pretty sure when you save it and it sees you have children cats it will be put to yes for the Fetch Children cats. DO NOT select multiple cats on the list this is the last time I will say this. IT screws everything up and confuses the hell out of you if you do. So now on my Blogs page everything will come up the way I want and all I need to mess with are the settings in the Blogs Category section parameters. What does this do it makes the link on the article / item title point to the category page if you have that category set up AND ALL CHILDREN ITEMS. Remember, like Kat said if you don't want these pages I am talking about showing up but need them to "POINT / be directed to somewhere" then put them in a new menu you create called Hidden (more below about this). For me I want my categories as menu items. Sort of like a showcase page for my blogs. So for my platinum user blog member ME (christian) I want to put a page that is for ME so I just repeat the same setup as above and point to a SINGLE category >> Christian XXXXX blog... NOT a USER's blog page and you will see why in a minute.Going back to my blogs page, because you have listened to me and saved yourself a million hours of headache. You will notice that your links via the READ MORE and the LINK on the article / item point to the item ID in which is the menu item you set up to a category called Christian XXXX Blog. This is the same for the rokpager on your page too whether it is on the front page, blog page, or whatever page. YEAAA.... Proper direction. Now if you have a blog page set up like me I want the link to the article / item via the title, via the read more, and obviously the category it is published by. THIS IS ALL possible because you set up a menu item pointing to a category where these articles are coming from. AND DIDN'T choose multiple categories EVER. So one more thing. The author. If you don't set up an author page and you have that on the articles listed in your blog page it will direct to either a blank page (menu less items) or the page where the item is on i.e. the blogs page in my case. So how do we fix this? Easy, set up a menu item to a user (blog) page i.e. Me the author and this time if you don't want it shown anywhere put it in a hidden menu that isn't displayed on your main menu. I title my menu Hidden for my hidden things. You can title this Christian's Profile because really that is all it is. And it is a horrible set up with poor settings that simply lists everything one after the other and I don't know if they are gonna be fixing this in K2 but for now I rather point to a category with a link to Christians Profile page rather than a direct link to it. So, if now back to our blogs page item / article listings. if you have author set to show and you visit the page and click on the writer / author you will see it goes to that persons "crappy layout" blog page. It lists social links email and a description and avatar which is cool but for a profile page that is GOOD enough. This was making my main menu items a little messy so I didn't want it there that is why I put it in Hidden Per Kats suggestion. Was confused there for a minute. This should help a LOT OF you for getting started with K2 so I want to hear some thanks for my hours making yours minutes!!!Let me know what you all think. 

Visit www.primeparty.org to see what I am say.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.