Keyword

Which Menu Links Are Correct to Use: Please Advise

• Christian Matthieas
  • Christian Matthieas's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
14 years 4 weeks ago #87574 by Christian Matthieas
Which Menu Links Are Correct to Use: Please Advise was created by Christian Matthieas
www.primeparty.org

I am cleaning up my menu links in rokcandy and have found something that I am not sure what to make of it but nevertheless I would like to do it the right way i.e. non-conflicting.

For example when I go to my menu link i.e. About Us the link that appears in I.e. is this... www.primeparty.org/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&layout=item&id=75&Itemid=91

However when I go to "My Menu" which and choose my menu item which is the "About Us" the link it shows me is thisindex.php?option=com_k2&view=item&layout=item&id=75

Now when I put that into my website iehttp://www.primeparty.org/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&layout=item&id=75

Both links work.  one is obviously shorter but which is correct?  and how did it get this way. Does it matter?  I do not know.  is there a diff?  does it even matter?  Why does K2 have to links that go to the same place. 

thanks so much for the help

I followed up to a response with this because the person at RT did not know what I was referring to

First, please realize I am using K2 for my content so believe me anything that is tricky or "off" is usally due to K2. With that said, in K2 I am allowed to create menu items. I can do this 4 ways, 2 of actually use to me. 1. is do link it to a category or multiple cats, and 2. is to link directly to an item aka article for K2. The second option is what I am referring to in this case but I don't think it matters for either option. When I go to Menus and then choose Main Menu* I have all my menu items i.e. About Us. When I go to the menu item About Us there is a link in there. so, when I put in my website www.primeparty.org + the link which is the link I posted above. the shorter one it will go to my About Us page. Ok, great... Now, the weird or "off" thing is that when I actually go to the page via my website directly and choose About Us there is a longer link that has this added to the ending &Itemid=91... My question is does this matter? and is there a better one to point to rather than one over the other? I seriously think it is a K2 thing but I am not entirely sure.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Yiota
  • Visitor
14 years 3 weeks ago #87575 by Yiota
Both links are correct from a certain aspect. However, the link you see when you edit the menu item is without the itemid parameter. The itemid is the menu items id (the number you see on the right of the menu items list) and the joomla menu mechanism knows to add it at the end of each link you have. The itemid is a parameter that is vital for each link to know its position. For example, try to go to the About us page without the itemid parameter at the end and then try to go by clicking the menu item. What do you see different? You may see the same page but you will not see the menu active link as well as probable modules you have set to show on this page only.

• Christian Matthieas
  • Premium Member
More
14 years 3 weeks ago #87576 by Christian Matthieas
Replied by Christian Matthieas on topic Which Menu Links Are Correct to Use: Please Advise
Thanks...

I cleaned my links and now everything is SEF so I guess it doesn't matter anymore..

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #87577 by David R.
If I understand you, you seem to be referring to the difference between relative links and a full url. You should always use relative links on your own site, because you may want to have multiple domain names map to the site, and you also probably want to have a test/development site. If you hardwire your production url into everything, how are you going to have a test version?

In general joomla allows for what it calls "Internal" links and you should always use these.

• Christian Matthieas
  • Premium Member
More
14 years 3 weeks ago #87578 by Christian Matthieas
Replied by Christian Matthieas on topic Which Menu Links Are Correct to Use: Please Advise
I think you are all missunderstanding the point and purpose of the question...

The issue is there is a link that appears from the actual site and a link from the link that is from the actual K2 item... so, when I was going through the process of putting in all the links to my website i was wondering which was correct to use. the one off of the backend of Joomla or the one from the actual website. I have resolved the issue and yes I am using relative links, of course, but now it is easier because I am using SEF and the apache setting which has my blog has www.primeparty.org/blogs instead of www.primeparty.org/index=2;laksdfljalsd;fjas;lk+item56-24=35

David R. said:If I understand you, you seem to be referring to the difference between relative links and a full url. You should always use relative links on your own site, because you may want to have multiple domain names map to the site, and you also probably want to have a test/development site. If you hardwire your production url into everything, how are you going to have a test version?In general joomla allows for what it calls "Internal" links and you should always use these.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #87579 by David R.
I see now. Yes this is one of the things that can be confusing. Often the number of parameters introduce slightly different functionality, and it's not always clear which one to use. Certainly if you had two variations that are as far as you are concerned, in no way different, my instinct would be to go with the shorter one.

WIth that said, the SEF is a red herring that has nothing to do with your question. The SEF support is suppossed to turn all the links into SEF format, no matter how you enter them. I suppose the only exception to this would be if you were to use an external link. All the SEF is doing is hiding the underlying name= portions of the url.

Christian Matthieas said:I think you are all missunderstanding the point and purpose of the question...
The issue is there is a link that appears from the actual site and a link from the link that is from the actual K2 item... so, when I was going through the process of putting in all the links to my website i was wondering which was correct to use. the one off of the backend of Joomla or the one from the actual website. I have resolved the issue and yes I am using relative links, of course, but now it is easier because I am using SEF and the apache setting which has my blog has www.primeparty.org/blogs instead of www.primeparty.org/index=2;laksdfljalsd;fjas;lk+item56-24=35

David R. said:If I understand you, you seem to be referring to the difference between relative links and a full url. You should always use relative links on your own site, because you may want to have multiple domain names map to the site, and you also probably want to have a test/development site. If you hardwire your production url into everything, how are you going to have a test version?In general joomla allows for what it calls "Internal" links and you should always use these.