Keyword

Do I Really Need To State The Obvious?

• Mongo
  • Mongo's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 2 weeks ago #88342 by Mongo
WTF is up with K2 Support! Do we really need to say K2 SUCKS!!! to get some help with the simple things that you guys missed?I have been watching for about 6 months and it's clear that if you have a female avatar and good looking, you have very little time to wait before one of the forum bunnies hops over to save the damsel in distress.But if your a average coder slammed into the world of K2 by Gavick Pro you get JACK SHYT.I wanted to know how to change the word cutoff to character cutoff on the category page.. I didn't think that would be too hard so I went for it. But when I replace the variable with char nothing happens, I've tried 3 different ways of changing it and nothing helps so this coding is not a normal way to code, so if it's a custom variable I would think that I would get some help.here is a post i made almost a month ago, I'm answering my fugging self, that's just how bad it is here.community.getk2.org/forum/topics/characters-not-words?commentId=3536014%3AComment%3A73232So I'll ask again!!!How do you change Introtext word limit to Introtext character limitThis is PATHETIC! I'll make me a new female profile and have you eating out my hands and ready to leave your wives

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #88343 by william white
Replied by william white on topic Do I Really Need To State The Obvious?
"This is PATHETIC! I'll make me a new female profile and have you eating out my hands and ready to leave your wives"
Interesting, in my younger days i did that! and sat and had drinks at the bar while unsuspecting guys came and watched and waited and watched and waited....
Never did get up the courage to post a pic of a regular "gal" at the bar and really stir things up....
We did have fun though. Ill take a look at a link if you will kindley send one to the offending page (if your site is live) the first chance i get

• Mongo
More
14 years 2 weeks ago #88344 by Mongo
Replied by Mongo on topic Do I Really Need To State The Obvious?
HAHAHA lol William man I can always count on you making me laugh. I wasn't serious, but come on the simple things can't get answered without going to extremes.

I've resorted to hacking the template to limit the text by char, I'll post my results but I'm sure they know how to do it in the core.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #88345 by irish
Replied by irish on topic Do I Really Need To State The Obvious?
Hello "Mongo",
I am kind of new to participating in the discussions and glad I missed your other post and sorry to see this one.
Do you realize that this is a Open Source Community of k2 users helping k2 users. None of us are obligated to nor paid to answer, solve or respond to your post requesting or bashing k2 users into doing your CUSTOMIZED work, for you, that has nothing to do with k2 support or the proper functioning of k2 itself.

Sorry I cannot help you with your request but I would like to bid on the graphics of your new girl'y avatar...

You are more than welcome to seek professional support for your customizations to k2.

"A wise man knows that in order to receive one must be in a giving mood"
Now you just have yourself a wonderful day!
Cheers!
irish

• Mongo
More
14 years 2 weeks ago #88346 by Mongo
Hello Irish nice to meet you. But do you realize I have a degree in computer science, with 26 years in coding GUI's for microsoft, IBM, Cisco, and the US Government. I seriously don't have time to learn syntax for all flavors of PHP arrays, I've learned, RPG2, Fortran, Basic (all levels) WyCast, Flash Script, Visual Basic, VRML, COBOL, C++, Applescript, I have no professional need to learn PHP dude, I'm also a hell of a gamer.

I have been on forums for decades, maybe before you where born, and out of all the forums I have been on this is the least supportive, Yes this forum is even worse than XTC template forum. And as usual some guy comes along bumping his chops about paying for support for a free component, get a life.

The fact remains that the customization as you call it, is an oversight that should have been included. I've been laying out and designing the back-end of GUI's for quite a while the ability to dictate your text layout is one of the most important elements of the design. The way K2 is right now, a person will hardly even get K2 to layout correctly unless word is change to character. So don't be scared of change dude..that's what a wise man told me..now I'm telling you.

irish said:Hello "Mongo", I am kind of new to participating in the discussions and glad I missed your other post and sorry to see this one. Do you realize that this is a Open Source Community of k2 users helping k2 users. None of us are obligated to nor paid to answer, solve or respond to your post requesting or bashing k2 users into doing your CUSTOMIZED work, for you, that has nothing to do with k2 support or the functioning of k2 itself.
You are more than welcome to seek professional support for your customizations to k2.

"A wise man knows that in order to receive one must be in a giving mood"
Now you just have yourself a wonderful day!
Cheers!
irish

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #88347 by irish
Replied by irish on topic Do I Really Need To State The Obvious?
Removed Not worth it...

• Mongo
More
14 years 2 weeks ago #88348 by Mongo
lol you had nothing worth saying. Look I put a or in the variables, and put a drop list to change from word to char. but I kept getting a lousy NullPointerException error, I got around that by putting “str != null” so now I can select if the text will be limited by words or char from the GUI of K2. I didn't want to learn this much of K2, but if I know this hack will be added to the next version of K2, you can pay for my Professional Support. Everyone else can have it for free.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #88349 by David R.
Replied by David R. on topic Do I Really Need To State The Obvious?
Hey Mongo,
First off, can I call you a Cobolasaurus yet? All those languages (especially the c++ and "flash script") well you actually meant Actionscript right? All you left out was 808x asm (if it doesn't have a segment:offset architecture, it ain't even assembler if you ask me!)

Sorry but I couldn't resist. ;)

Anyways, I'll throw in my 2 cents on your other post.

• Mongo
More
14 years 2 weeks ago #88350 by Mongo
Naa Actionscript is macromedia Flash.. ooops adobe bought macromedia. No Flash Script is a faster way of writing Basic. man I been writing for a while, I started writing on cards and sliding them into the reader lol, oh and I forgot SQL.

And no I'm not a Cobolasaurus.. lol most of my GUI's have been for the defense industry. COBOL is the nuts and bolts of the banking industry, I couldn't get a security clearance that high if I wanted to.

More
13 years 7 months ago #88351 by william white
Replied by william white on topic Do I Really Need To State The Obvious?
@john Looking at the thread he refered to he replaced:

return rtrim($matches[0]).$end_char;

with

return substr($str, 0, $limit).$end_char;

in the function.

Im not sure which file he was working in, but that seems to be the difference is that he is returning a substring of $string instead of trimming the tailing spaces off of an element of an array.

when i have more time i will search for the code and see which file its in