Keyword

Columns on category view

• Esben Gudbrandsen
  • Esben Gudbrandsen's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 3 weeks ago #88504 by Esben Gudbrandsen
Columns on category view was created by Esben Gudbrandsen
Hi!I would like to display articles from a category in two columns.However regardless of the column settings in both category and menu-item the content shows up in one single column.As i see it, this must be a bug. So can somebody from the K2 team please provide a soloution, fix or a workaround for this frustrating problem?Here is a link to the page in my site where i encounter this layoutproblem: geirangertaxi.no/nb/taxi-cruise.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #88505 by K lounes
Replied by K lounes on topic Columns on category view
Well, I think that one way of doing this is to create another dummy category so that you can pick more than one category in your control settings. There you should find the option. Obviously, you might have done this but it didn't work. In that case, I think your template CSS is conflicting with K2 CSS.
I have been for 5 hours exactly modifying my K2 css file and those default template php files to make the thing lokk like I want. It still needs couple more hours.... I think I am on my way of creating a new K2 template that will be very useful to all of us who want those 2 columns on the frontpage.

• Esben Gudbrandsen
More
14 years 2 weeks ago #88506 by Esben Gudbrandsen
Replied by Esben Gudbrandsen on topic Columns on category view
So if i place lets say 3 items each in 2 different categorys and choose both to show up, then they will show up in 2 columns?

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #88507 by K lounes
Yes, that already gives you the option of activating those controls where you can change lead numbers, the order etc.
Then, I think since you want to have those columns on the frontpage, just go to your Joomla Meny admin, clicl on main menu, select "home" and chance the link from Frontpage Blog settings to the K2 category. That should replace your frontpage content with the K2 categories one.

I think that the only drawback with this option is that all items posted in those categories will come up on the front regardless of whether you want them on the front or not.

Esben Gudbrandsen said:So if i place lets say 3 items each in 2 different categorys and choose both to show up, then they will show up in 2 columns?

• Esben Gudbrandsen
More
14 years 2 weeks ago #88508 by Esben Gudbrandsen
Thank you for your response, but im sad to say it did not help me.

Regardless of how many categorys etc i create and how i do my settings the items still show up in one single column. Nothing i do helps.

So i think i have to do some changes in my files, but im not that good in php. The template im using is "Cherrydesign" by Gavick. Anybody have i fix for this?

K lounes said:Yes, that already gives you the option of activating those controls where you can change lead numbers, the order etc. Then, I think since you want to have those columns on the frontpage, just go to your Joomla Meny admin, clicl on main menu, select "home" and chance the link from Frontpage Blog settings to the K2 category. That should replace your frontpage content with the K2 categories one.

I think that the only drawback with this option is that all items posted in those categories will come up on the front regardless of whether you want them on the front or not.

Esben Gudbrandsen said:So if i place lets say 3 items each in 2 different categorys and choose both to show up, then they will show up in 2 columns?

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #88509 by K lounes
I am sorry it didn't work, but I am more sorry that other members or K2 guys do not participate in solving these issues. I am also spending ridiculous time trying to make things look right with K2, but it too much time consuming from a user stand point.
A component is supposed to help save time and effort to users, but this one is just too much work... it's like a high maintenance girl friend. You only can keep her for some time before you know that cannot work...

• Esben Gudbrandsen
More
14 years 2 weeks ago #88510 by Esben Gudbrandsen
I agree and i gave up using K2 on my site.

I achieved the same style and look using joomla articles, so im done with k2 probably forever as it doesnt work as it should and support is almost non-existing.

My site does well without: geirangertaxi.no/index.php :)

Thank you, and good luck to you if your still wasting time on K2:)

K lounes said:I am sorry it didn't work, but I am more sorry that other members or K2 guys do not participate in solving these issues. I am also spending ridiculous time trying to make things look right with K2, but it too much time consuming from a user stand point. A component is supposed to help save time and effort to users, but this one is just too much work... it's like a high maintenance girl friend. You only can keep her for some time before you know that cannot work...

• Thomas Johannessen
More
13 years 5 months ago #88511 by Thomas Johannessen
Replied by Thomas Johannessen on topic Columns on category view
im still struggling with this. I bought the K2mart for use items in K2 as a shopview on a clients site.

unfortunately the menu item link to a Category - multiple categories DOES NOT EVEN LOOK like a 2 column.

is K2 team out of their mind??  cant you give us ANY feedback on this?  

More
13 years 4 months ago #88512 by donaldhwong
Replied by donaldhwong on topic Columns on category view
What I found out is that...

2 columns work only if I select 2 categories.  But if I select only one category, the items of this one category do not display in 2 column.  But what I want is one category, such as a "frontpage" category with items display in two columns.

Can anyone help?  Thanks.

• Xristoph cRad
  • Radwerkz
More
10 years 5 months ago #88513 by Xristoph cRad
Replied by Xristoph cRad on topic Re: Columns on category view
So it's 3 years after the original post and this multi column issue still exists between Gavick themes and K2.

I have over 100 press releases dating back a span of 4 or 5 years that I need to have in descending order, in a 2 column layout. Do the K2 developers really expect me to separate my press releases into 2 different categories? Anyone at #K2 or #Gavick have a solution?