Keyword

Overwhelmed and scared of K2. Is it overkill for my little Joomla site?

• Chris Parker
  • Chris Parker's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 5 days ago #88550 by Chris Parker
Hi guys,I don't mind admitting that I am terrifed! For the first time in my life, I am actually scared of a Joomla extension. LOLI was looking for an alternative to "Jobline" - a simple Joomla component that allows registered users to post job vacancies through the front end of my site (a very simple classifieds component if you like). We've been using it for years, but it's the last component we've got that requires Joomla 1.5 to run in Legacy mode, so it's time to look for alternatives! Someone on the Joomla forums suggested K2.So here I am. Overwhelmed and scared. K2 looks like a huge and complex component.I don't want to destroy my sh404 urls that are doing so well in Google. I don't need a magazine style Joomla site. I don't blog (my users tend to be comfortable using the phpBB installation on my site for writing about things). The few articles I do have on my site took me ages to write. I don't want K2 taking them over, changing their URLS and telling me to configure 100 buttons to display them.I just want a simple area of my site, accessed from the menu, where a registered user can see a table filled with job vacancy links. They should also be able to "add a vacancy" by clicking on a button and filling in a form, pressing submit, and seeing their job listed. I'd like a module that displays "latest 10 jobs" based on the entries in that category.I've no doubt that K2 can do this, but can I? I've been using Joomla since 2006. How easy is the above going to be with K2 for a newbie like me?Also, do you have any examples where you have taken a standard Joomla site and "given it a makeover" with K2?:scared:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 5 days ago #88551 by william white
Also, K2 will co-exist with your existing site, allowing you to choose where to use k2
We all break Brian's 3 rules and let others post to our sites at some point or another, and that is always a risk, but with the proper notification and approval process what you want to do may work well.
See AutoNotify at k2Joom.com for notifications, set it to notify you and/or others of each new entry and set the permission not to publish, giving that job to staff if necessary

More
14 years 5 days ago #88552 by David R.
I'll second the prior comments. Reading your requirements, K2 will do the job for you, but you'll need to create a customized K2 template at very least. So if you're not comfortable reading php template code, and doing css styling, it might not be for you.

K2 doesn't take over anything... it lives entirely in its own ecosystem and really doesn't effect base Joomla. This confuses people because they've probably read that you can import existing joomla articles. Nothing forces you to do that, nor does K2 start injecting itself anywhere. You have to configure modules and set them up to appear.

One other thing I can offer is that, although this might not be in svn for the next version, there is a patch for K2 that makes it play nicely with sh404sef from the owner of the company that makes sh404sef himself, so that you can make K2 honor the :yoursite.com/this_is_a_k2_article format that's possible with sh404sef. There's a *lively* thread about this on our site, with a link to theirs that you can find in these forums, so that is something that definately works now, where it doesn't with the current release (2.3).

The article that talks about this and has links to the patches you need is: community.getk2.org/forum/topics/k2-and-sh404sef