Keyword

Add a new item to this category requires me to choose a category

• Amir Meiri
  • Amir Meiri's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 6 days ago #88568 by Amir Meiri
Hi,I hope that this isn't too much of a newbie question:In the front-end the description for K2 categories is  a link to "Add new item to this caategory". When I click it I get the pop-up modal to enter the item parameters. At this point I expected the new item to automatically have its parent category parameter set to the category I was viewing until clicking that link. However it's not even set to anything.Is there a way to make this work properly? Help?Thanks,:-) Amir Meiri

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 days ago #88569 by william white
This seems to be default behavior. If the user belongs to a user group with rights to only on category, that will be the only category that he or she can select when adding items

• Amir Meiri
More
14 years 6 days ago #88570 by Amir Meiri
My problem is that the modal dialog / form / whatever it's called is set to _nothing_.
I click on "add new item to this category", expecting a quick process to add an item. However I still have to select a category manually, instead of that category already being selected:
- Even though I already was viewing a specific category ("_this_ category")
- Sifting through the hundreds of categories on the site is tedious and error-prone
- It's also possible to add to a totally different category, which doesn't make sense (again: "_this_ category)

This might be nit-picking, but it really bugs me.

William White said:This seems to be default behavior. If the user belongs to a user group with rights to only on category, that will be the only category that he or she can select when adding items

More
14 years 6 days ago #88571 by william white
If you have hundreds of categories you would be correct, the default behavior does not do what you want. I would suggest talking with a developer to see if some sort of custom override for that part might be added to at least autoselect the category you are working in.

More
14 years 6 days ago #88572 by william white
Read the posts here from Oliver and see how to change the default behavior of add form....or at least the idea of how to start changing it

More
  • Amir Meiri
More
13 years 10 months ago #88574 by Amir Meiri
I have actually reviewed the code per William White's suggestion. While very feasible, this modification isn't a trivial one-stop endeavor. As far as I could tell, the form.php code does not receive the so-called "current category" as input, so you cannot simply add code to the combo box to have it default to that. The code must be manipulated in a few places, so the relevant data is passed to the form in the first place, and then used.
I saw all this, but never got around to implementing it due to lack of time (surprisingly managing 1000+ new users is taking up a lot of my time, not to mention the stuff I do _not_ in my free time). Most of my users (99%) do not have any type of authoring privileges anyway, so this item got thrown down the priority ladder.
If I ever get around to dealing with it, I'll post here.