Keyword

K2 or not?

• Getset2go Internet & Consulting CC
  • Getset2go Internet & Consulting CC's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 2 days ago #88703 by Getset2go Internet & Consulting CC
K2 or not? was created by Getset2go Internet & Consulting CC
Hi All, 
I have some experience with Joomla but never got to K2 (yet?).
However, 
I need to start a tourism website and i think (but I am not sure ) that K2 has what it takes to do this job.

In short, i would need the following: 

The site will include different touristic routes throughout South Africa. These routes will need a detailed itinerary with descriptions of the highlights.

All of these routes will have several overnight stopovers

All of these stopovers will have multiple accommodations (3 - 4 -5 stars) I assume that this would be the product level. I need descriptions, photos, videos and uploads on this level. (perhaps on the other levels as well) .

Besides this: Some stopovers (and their accommodations) will appear in more then one route!

Is  this easily done in K2 or does one need to chop and change and improvise to get a decent  result.
Also, is there provision to rename fields such as "products" to "accommodations" , "Categories" to "Routes", and so on? 

Looking forward to some constructive replies!

Cheers, 

Edwin 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 day ago #88704 by David R.
Replied by David R. on topic K2 or not?
Edwin,
Yes I think K2 has some features that will help you out:

-Custom Fields
This could be of use to you if you have certain pieces of information that you'd like to keep seperate in the database. For example, you can add a series of radio buttons that could be used to store your "3-4-5" stars accomodation rating.

I would suggest you have at least, one category for stopovers and one for tour/route.

K2 will out of the box handle your description, photos and videos. For the photos and videos you need to install 2 other free joomlaworks components, but that is a minor speedbump. Once setup I think you'll find that the editor makes adding and updating this information a snap for even non-technical users.

To handle your "Stopovers" you can use the built in tags. Simply make a Tag that corresponds for each stopover, and tag each route with the stopover. If you need to have this list integrated into the article you could use the joomla article hack to include the module content in the article, so you could have a nice integrated list of the stopovers that is clickable and could be used in identifying related routes. When you make a route, tag it with every applicable stopover.

As for customizing descriptions/text, this is more of a Joomla thing, but the process has been described a number of times here: just change the descriptions in the k2 languge file:

community.getk2.org/forum/topics/getting-rid-of-the-title

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.