Keyword

Bug with edit window in front end.

• Scott Osteen
  • Scott Osteen's Avatar Topic Author
More
13 years 11 months ago #89044 by Scott Osteen
Bug with edit window in front end. was created by Scott Osteen
I just upgraded to V 2.4.1.  In the edit window from the front end when you attempt to hit "save" it acts like the apply button in the backend of joomla.  The item is saved right away but the window does not close.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago #89045 by Oceanwatcher
Replied by Oceanwatcher on topic Bug with edit window in front end.
I can confirm this bug.

Using Firefox 3.6.10 on Kubuntu Linux 10.04 - KDE 4.5.1

Editing from the front end of the site.

When writing a new article and clicking save it saves fine, but leaves the form open as when you click "Apply" in the back-end. It should save and close the window.

This is makes adding articles to a site more difficult for users that are not tech-savvy.

Can anyone else confirm this behaviour?

More
13 years 11 months ago #89046 by Lefteris
Replied by Lefteris on topic Bug with edit window in front end.
This is not a bug. This how it was designed. You can close the window by clicking cancel or the modal close button.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

More
13 years 11 months ago #89047 by Oceanwatcher
I understand what you are saying, but there is a logical break here.

In the backend, clicking save closes the editing window. There, you have one more button called Apply.

In teh front, the Apply button is missing, and the Save button do not close the editing window.

This is what I would call bad usability. Whatever you do, make sure that you do it the same way all places.

More
13 years 11 months ago #89048 by Lefteris
OK you can rename "Save" button to "Apply" if you find it so important. Also as you mentioned you are on frontend not on backend it is not the same. At backend save button redirects you to the list of the items. This does not apply to front end.

Svein Wisnaes said:I understand what you are saying, but there is a logical break here. In the backend, clicking save closes the editing window. There, you have one more button called Apply.

In teh front, the Apply button is missing, and the Save button do not close the editing window.

This is what I would call bad usability. Whatever you do, make sure that you do it the same way all places.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

More
13 years 11 months ago #89049 by Oceanwatcher
The expected action in the frontend is that the save button closes the window and return you to the page where you clicked on the edit link.

In other words: it should save-and-close.

As the edit window covers the website, I understand that an apply button do not make too much sense. So the right button is Save. But as it do not make sense to have an apply button, it does not make sense to have a different button work the same way. When you click on the save button, you need to get the window closed so you can see the site. Forcing people to click one more time to get to that is not the right way to go about things.

I normally never assume that I am representative for the majority of users. Normally, I am absolutely not representative for the majority :-) But in this case I think that the vast majority expect the window to close when they click on save and gets confused when they have to click on cancel to close it.

Remember - a lot of people have monitors with limited vertical space - mine is 1280x800 - and if you have Firefox with an extra toolbar, you suddenly have about 600 pixels available of vertical space. This means you loose a bit of information and need to scroll. And in a scenario like this, things should definitely behave consistently.

I would put it this way: If you find the Apply function so important, it is better that you add an Apply button and make sure the Save button saves and closes the window.

More
13 years 11 months ago #89050 by Lefteris
Maybe you are right. Maybe this what most of users expects. But this is how it works. If you do not like it you can implement your own solution and commit it so we can add this. But in any case this is NOT a bug (you confirmed it is!). You can post your feature requests to the corresponding forum section.

Svein Wisnaes said:The expected action in the frontend is that the save button closes the window and return you to the page where you clicked on the edit link.
In other words: it should save-and-close.

As the edit window covers the website, I understand that an apply button do not make too much sense. So the right button is Save. But as it do not make sense to have an apply button, it does not make sense to have a different button work the same way. When you click on the save button, you need to get the window closed so you can see the site. Forcing people to click one more time to get to that is not the right way to go about things.

I normally never assume that I am representative for the majority of users. Normally, I am absolutely not representative for the majority :-) But in this case I think that the vast majority expect the window to close when they click on save and gets confused when they have to click on cancel to close it.

Remember - a lot of people have monitors with limited vertical space - mine is 1280x800 - and if you have Firefox with an extra toolbar, you suddenly have about 600 pixels available of vertical space. This means you loose a bit of information and need to scroll. And in a scenario like this, things should definitely behave consistently.

I would put it this way: If you find the Apply function so important, it is better that you add an Apply button and make sure the Save button saves and closes the window.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

More
13 years 11 months ago #89051 by Oceanwatcher
If I was a programmer, I would do exactly that :-) But yes, as you have said that this is how you have designed it, it is not a bug as it would appear to be in the first place.

I will add it as a feature request and I think you should seriously considering adding the Apply button plus changing the Save function so that it works more the way people expect it to. After all, software should make things easier? :-)

Thank you for your time. The feature request will be there soon.

More
13 years 11 months ago #89052 by Oceanwatcher
Eehh.... I am looking for the "Feature request" section, but can not see any. *confused*

I have been trying to find out if JoomlaWorks has a bug tracker somewhere where we can add bugs and feature requests in a normal way instead of the forum where it is impossible to track the development of things?

More
13 years 10 months ago #89053 by Samantha D
Replied by Samantha D on topic Bug with edit window in front end.
This might be working as designed, but how about an indication on the popup that the item has been saved? There is the little flash and of course the window below shows a message, but there is no indicator that it's been saved on the popup itself, which is important for a novice user. It would be awesome if a little indicator appeared next to the save button.