Keyword

Serious bug when moving an item to another category. Looses all custom fields!

• Manos
  • Manos's Avatar Topic Author
More
13 years 11 months ago #89562 by Manos
Hi,I have discovered a serious bug at the item modification.Whenever you change the category, all the content in all the custom fields is lost, even if those two categories have exactly the same custom fields.Please advice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago #89563 by Lefteris
Hi. Extra fields are associated to a specific category. That's why changing a category does not keep this information. Thanks.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Manos
More
13 years 11 months ago #89564 by Manos
Lefteri,

I understand this, however I am only moving an item from a subcategory to an other subcategory that both belong to the same category and have exactly the same extra fields. It's totally stupid to remove them, only to replace them with the same as blank. There should be a check in this case to skip the above step and preserve the fields' information.
K2 is a smart system. It should have this intelligence. Could you please let me know where could I modify the code in order to add a check to skip this step in this case?

Thanks in advance,

Manos

More
13 years 10 months ago #89565 by James McGrath
Another vote for there to be the option of preserving the extra fields content when moving an item between categories that use the same extra fields group. Seem logical that it would be preserved I'm sure that moving items between categories/subcategories would be a common occurrence for a lot of K2 users.

James

• Manos
More
13 years 10 months ago #89566 by Manos
It is! Imagine this. You run a video store and you add a new movie that is going to be available to your store soon. So you add it to Movies / Coming Soon. Then the movie is available and you move it to Movies / 2010 Releases. It's totally stupid to have to write AGAIN all the extra fields you lost! Isn't it?

More
13 years 10 months ago #89567 by Lefteris
An extra field with the name 'test' in category a is NOT the same as an extra field named also 'test' in category b. Extra fields are associated per category. So when you change category you will loose the data. Currently nothing can be done to change this.

Manos said:It is! Imagine this. You run a video store and you add a new movie that is going to be available to your store soon. So you add it to Movies / Coming Soon. Then the movie is available and you move it to Movies / 2010 Releases. It's totally stupid to have to write AGAIN all the extra fields you lost! Isn't it?

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Manos
More
13 years 10 months ago #89568 by Manos
Lefteri,

It actualy IS the same field! Because there is only ONE test field and it has been set to both categories in Associated "Extra Fields Group". So you see, it is not different!
Example: Category: Level1 [Associated "Extra Fields Group" = test]
Level2(sub category of Level1) [Associated "Extra Fields Group" = test]

Do you see what I mean?