Keyword

URL building differences between K2/sh404 and Joomla/sh404

• Olivier Karfis
  • Olivier Karfis's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
More
13 years 11 months ago #89713 by Olivier Karfis
Since the K2 crew seems to be pushing for sh404 and vice versa, I'll continue on with my sh404 issues reports :-)
The Joomla "Uncategorized" category is handled differently by sh404 when creating SEF URLs which creates some issues when converting an existing site over to K2.

For any uncategorized article, sh404 will build the URL as such:
[DOMAIN]/[article_alias]
whereas with K2, the URL will be buit as:
[DOMAIN]/"Uncategorized"/[article_alias]

It's logical since the "Use last Category" option is on in the K2 options but 'uncategorized' is not like other categories.  Uncategorized is recommended to use for static pages (such as privacy policy, landing pages, etc...) but there is no equivalent in K2.  

If your site is set up to use "all" or "last category" when creating sh404 URLs, how can you get user friendly URL which is just the name of the page? It's not possible today (unless you manually create aliases for each of these pages).

--Olivier

Owner of www.FrenchToday.com - K2 fan and freelancer, runs the Joomla/K2 tip site: www.yanaku.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago #89714 by Lefteris
Hi. Obviously the problem is that K2 does not support uncategorized items. I cannot think of a quick way (other than creating alias) to achieve this. Any further thoughts on this are welcome.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Olivier Karfis
  • Olivier Karfis's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
More
13 years 11 months ago #89715 by Olivier Karfis
Hi Lefteris. It's obviously the problem and in the mean time I'll keep these static pages under Joomla (acceptable for us since we are just 2 content creators).

Creating a special case category type might be too much just to handle this particular case but one functionality that can be added to category parameters is a "Use category name in sh404 path" checkbox. This would solve this particular case and also add a lot of power to SEO since the content developer can determine the exact path to all items (instead of the more limited "use all" or "use last category" options).

--Olivier

Owner of www.FrenchToday.com - K2 fan and freelancer, runs the Joomla/K2 tip site: www.yanaku.com