Keyword

K2 searches, PDF Indexing, and Subscription Manager

More
13 years 11 months ago #89900 by Bold
I'm building a client site which requires a paid subscription to download proprietary .pdf documents.  I did some testing with Docman but found K2 is much easier to configure as a document library. The client requires that user-searches scan for keywords within pdf files.  I'm trying the OS PDF Indexer extension, which works great EXCEPT search results are returning direct links to the pdf documents.  It is crucial that search results link to a location (i.e., a K2 item page) where document access is controlled by a subscription manager (in this case, probably AEC).So I need a search function that uses pdf indexing and returns secure search results. Whether that's a modified native Joomla search, K2 search, or search extension for J1.5.  I haven't been able to find a solution so far - does anyone know how to do this?  One option is to switch to Remository but I'd like to stick with K2 if possible.Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago #89901 by Bold
I've tried Jxtended Finder but it's unable to search .pdf contents in the manner the site require. I'm trying another (legacy) Joomla extension for searching .pdf's but it's not looking good. So far, OS PDF Indexer + K2 is the closest to meeting the client's needs -- if ONLY I can figure out a way to hide/secure document URLs in the search results.

Has anyone had similar requirements in their implementation of K2? Deadlines are fast-approaching so I need to find a solution soon...

More
13 years 11 months ago #89902 by DJ Enterprises
Replied by DJ Enterprises on topic K2 searches, PDF Indexing, and Subscription Manager
Not sure if this helps. Check out OSE they have a membership component. Not sure if that helps.
www.opensource-excellence.com

Bold said:I've tried Jxtended Finder but it's unable to search .pdf contents in the manner the site require. I'm trying another (legacy) Joomla extension for searching .pdf's but it's not looking good. So far, OS PDF Indexer + K2 is the closest to meeting the client's needs -- if ONLY I can figure out a way to hide/secure document URLs in the search results.
Has anyone had similar requirements in their implementation of K2? Deadlines are fast-approaching so I need to find a solution soon...

More
13 years 11 months ago #89903 by Bold
Thanks - definitely an option for the membership/subscription component. I need to resolve this search issue first, though :(

More
13 years 11 months ago #89904 by DJ Enterprises

More
13 years 11 months ago #89905 by Bold
Yep, I've been evaluating OS PDF Indexer heavily, but haven't found a way to make it respect K2 permissions/rules.

More
13 years 6 months ago #89906 by Geoffrey Mack
Replied by Geoffrey Mack on topic K2 searches, PDF Indexing, and Subscription Manager
I'm wondering if you ever found a solution to this issue. I have a similar problem: client has proprietary PDFs that they want to restrict. ie, only subscribers would have access to them. Right now these PDFs are sitting in Media Manager and they could easily be downloaded by anybody with the link.

It seems to me that all of the subscription add-ons will work great at restricting access to documents/items, but won't do anything about attachments like PDFs. 

True?

More
13 years 5 months ago #89907 by Bold
Never found a solution.  Maybe if I had some advanced php skills.  But I had to abandon K2.  It's great in many respects and clearly a tremendous amount of work has been put into it.  But there are some fundamental permissions issues it does not address (and believe me, it's not the only one) that made this component a non-starter for what I needed to do :(