Keyword

editing generic.php to change tag item layout

• Andrew Neighbour
  • Andrew Neighbour's Avatar Topic Author
More
13 years 10 months ago #90341 by Andrew Neighbour
editing generic.php to change tag item layout was created by Andrew Neighbour
OK...so I am using the catalog page view to show subcategories on my product site, as in:http://batrboots.com/boots.htmlThis is working very nicely.  However, many of the items have features that cross different categories - hence the use of tags and the tag cloud.However, when selecting a tag, I get a single column layout that goes on for pages, as in:http://batrboots.com/boots/itemlist/tag/ankle%20zipper.htmlCrawling around the forum, it seems that generic.php defines the layout for the results of a tag search.  Is there a way to change this file to redefine the layout as, for example, 2 or 3 columns, so that it looks a little more like the catalog page view?Any help would be appreciated.Thanks,Andrew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Yiota
  • Visitor
13 years 10 months ago #90342 by Yiota
Just edit the generic.php file to suit the category view you have. You can change the layout as you wish.

• Andrew Neighbour
More
13 years 10 months ago #90343 by Andrew Neighbour
Replied by Andrew Neighbour on topic editing generic.php to change tag item layout
Thanks Yiota - I'm afraid the change is a little beyond my programming capabilities - I'm learning a lot, but not enough to tackle this one without guidance. Can you guide me a little - basically, all I'd like to do is change the layout from the 1 column list to a 3 column list similar to the product catalog list.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Andrew

Yiota Ziaggou said:Just edit the generic.php file to suit the category view you have. You can change the layout as you wish.

• Yiota
  • Visitor
13 years 10 months ago #90344 by Yiota
All you have to do is write some CSS. The class you need to write is the genericItemView. If you add float:left and width your 3 cols or as many cols as you like are set. All you need to add to the generic.php file is a div class="clr" right before the div genericItemList closes.

• Andrew Neighbour
More
13 years 10 months ago #90345 by Andrew Neighbour
Replied by Andrew Neighbour on topic editing generic.php to change tag item layout
OK - I tried your suggestions... first: since I have a template override, I went to the generic.php in the override directory, added div class="clr" at the end of the genericitemlist section. Then I edited the customized template csss file adding a float:left and a width=250px.

All this had no effect to the layout.

So second: I figured that maybe I should be editing the core files, so did the same thing to the generic.php and k2.css in the com_k2 tree.

This also did nothing...what else should I be doing?

Your continued help is much appreciated,
Thanks,
A

More
13 years 10 months ago #90346 by lito2380
Replied by lito2380 on topic editing generic.php to change tag item layout
Yiota Ziaggou said:All you have to do is write some CSS. The class you need to write is the genericItemView. If you add float:left and width your 3 cols or as many cols as you like are set. All you need to add to the generic.php file is a div class="clr" right before the div genericItemList closes.

WOOHOOOO thank you Yiota! you rock :Dj worked.

More
13 years 10 months ago #90347 by merlin.dayana
Replied by merlin.dayana on topic editing generic.php to change tag item layout
This action proof to be a win, win situation. This is a true art work, which will be a success story. A very smart and diplomatic answer. It’s really appreciable and general. I like this particular article It gives me an additional input on the information around the world Thanks a lot and keep going with posting such information.
======================
Motor Insurance Quote