Keyword

K2 group permission bug

• Alan Sparkes
  • Alan Sparkes's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
13 years 10 months ago #90494 by Alan Sparkes
K2 group permission bug was created by Alan Sparkes
I have a a category structure like thisEvent Resources  -event1 (7 items)  -event2 (5items)  -event3 (3 items)I have K2 permission groups that match the resource subcategorieseg K2 group 'event1', K2 group 'event2',K2 group 'event3'John is on event 1, so he is a registered Joomla user, in the the K2 user table, and is assigned to K2 group event 1When he logs in I am redirecting thru the login module to a K2 menu item -  a category list of 'Event Resources'  as described above.Because John has permissions for only event 1 i expect him to see just the 7 items from event 1.But what he gets is twelve items, 'Event 1' items + 'Event 2' items.ie he can see 12 items instead of the sevenThis is wrong surely.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Alan Sparkes
  • Premium Member
More
13 years 10 months ago #90495 by Alan Sparkes
Replied by Alan Sparkes on topic K2 group permission bug
OK so William pointed out that this might just be for editable items - not viewing.
However The results dont make sense. The real world example has 20 sub categories but I get 7 items from the group the logged in user is assigned to and another 5 items from one specific category - I am at a loss to explain why this second category comes up.

Any core team care to look into and comment on how this should be working?

Without resolving this I am left to hacking controllers.....

More
13 years 10 months ago #90496 by Lefteris
Replied by Lefteris on topic K2 group permission bug
Hi. The permissions are for editing not for viewing. Try to check again your settings nad give attention to the "Automatically assign group permissions to the children of selected categories" setting. Thanks.

Alan Sparkes said:OK so William pointed out that this might just be for editable items - not viewing. However The results dont make sense. The real world example has 20 sub categories but I get 7 items from the group the logged in user is assigned to and another 5 items from one specific category - I am at a loss to explain why this second category comes up.

Any core team care to look into and comment on how this should be working?

Without resolving this I am left to hacking controllers.....

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Alan Sparkes
  • Premium Member
More
13 years 10 months ago #90497 by Alan Sparkes
Thanks Lefteris - Id love to say that helped ......
Well I am now clearer - permissions on a group do not restrcit viewing access - only edit access.

I dont see how checking the inheritance helps explain or resolve the issue though since these dont affect the viewing of content only the editing.....;)

More
13 years 10 months ago #90498 by Lefteris
Replied by Lefteris on topic K2 group permission bug
The inheritance was mentioned just in case you have issues with the editing permissions.

Alan Sparkes said:Thanks Lefteris - Id love to say that helped ...... Well I am now clearer - permissions on a group do not restrcit viewing access - only edit access.

I dont see how checking the inheritance helps explain or resolve the issue though since these dont affect the viewing of content only the editing.....;)

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Alan Sparkes
  • Premium Member
More
13 years 10 months ago #90499 by Alan Sparkes
No its not a an edit thing. Its more like the behaviour I am geting is 99% of what I want but I am not sure if its meant to work like this or why it works like it does.