Keyword

I am looking for a Module for a "Drill-Down User Interest Classification" Database

• Reed Hatkoff
  • Reed Hatkoff's Avatar Topic Author
More
13 years 10 months ago #90725 by Reed Hatkoff
Is there any Joomla or K2 application, extension, or module that will perform an "Interest Category" drill-down tree for a member profile when they register, that will write the results to a MySQL database?

I have been searching for such a plug-in (rather than creating drop-down selections), and found an ideal example on www.researchgate.net/ whereby their sign-up page has a slick little window for a new member to indicate their "Disciplines"... which is exactly what I have been looking for:
Notice on the actual sign-in page -- how if a Discipline is checked, and the + sign is clicked on the
master category-- it automatically checks all the boxes in the
sub-category-- however one can click in the + to open up the sub-categories below it- and select only those sub-topics of interest:

Does this capability exist in K2... or can somebody write the app to look and act like the one in the example below?www.researchgate.net/signup.SignUp.html?forwarded=true&account_firstname=&account_lastname=&account_email=&=+

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #90726 by Jiliko.net
Hi Reed,

I think this can be done with a user K2 plugin.

The problem could be what you want to do with this information as it's stored in the params of the user in a specific way.

Olivier

• Reed Hatkoff
More
13 years 10 months ago #90727 by Reed Hatkoff
This is very useful and crucial information to connect people with like interests in JomSocial, and well as populating their page with specific content relevant to their interests, or offering them specific advertising!

More
13 years 10 months ago #90728 by Artur Neumann
Just to bring this discussion back from the K2 import thread.
Artur Neumann:

Hi,
I think this is possible and a cool Idea. But at the moment I don't have time for that. Are you going to pay for the work? I could try to find a developer for it.
Reed Hatkoff

Yes... of course it is a compensated job-- not a freebie! I just want to confirm that such function and capability does not already exist. It needs to write the data to the databases, and be able to select and connect (match) the data for different searches when connecting social networking members with the same interests, or offering them specific merchandise commensurate with their specified interests.

More
13 years 10 months ago #90729 by Artur Neumann
If I understand you correct you would like to realize a community just with K2, do you?
Doesn't community extensions fits you needs better?

• Reed Hatkoff
More
13 years 10 months ago #90730 by Reed Hatkoff
Hi Arthur-

I don't understand your phrase "realize a community just with K2", however without trying to describe what I want to achieve, I can point to the function as I described above in my example: www.researchgate.net/signup.SignUp.html?forwarded=true&account_firstname=&account_lastname=&account_email=&=+

I want a plug-in or module to do EXACTLY THE SAME THING! What I don't know... is if this is something that can be developed in K2, or simply written in PHP, Java, or some other language that can be adapted to, or integrated with a Joomla based website with K2 installed! Is this a project you could assist with?