Keyword

[How To] Display 2 different category descriptions (eg: one short, one long)

• Olivier Karfis
  • Olivier Karfis's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
More
13 years 10 months ago #90975 by Olivier Karfis
One of the problems I ran into (and also saw a lot of questions on this forum) is that I wanted to have a small category description when I displayed all my categories but then have a larger description on the actual category page.

ie:

Category 1 

[small description]

Category 2

[small description]

then when you click onto a particular category you would get:

Category 1

[Large Description]

Item 1

Item 2

I've seen some workarounds in code which I wanted to stay away from so I came up with this solution.  Hope it helps someone...

How To

First get yourself NoNumber!'s Advanced Module Manager.  

It's an absolute must have extension for any site to solve many many problems and it's the key to solving this one (It's free but please make an effort to support him, his many extensions are incredible additions to Joomla and very cheap).

One (of the many) really useful feature of Advanced Manager is to be able to display a module on a specific K2 category page or even down to individual items.  We're going to use that to create different descriptions for your categories.

So here's the setup:

** Top Category

Category Item Layout:

Main category, set up:

Catalog mode: No

Category View Options:

sub-category handling on 'Show'

** For each Sub Categories (I usually set the options of the first one and the others as 'inherit')

Category View Options:

Hide Everything

Then create a Custom HTML Module with the enhanced description for a category and in the Advanced Module Assignment Choose:

K2 Categories

Assign to Selection

Also on child items: No

K2 Category: Choose the category that you want to assign the larger description

Page types: make sure you check only 'Categories'

Then assign the Module to a template position at the top of your page content.

Now, the K2 built-in description is used when displaying the list of categories and then the module's content is displayed (and the K2 description hidden) when you are on the actual category page.

--Olivier

Owner of www.FrenchToday.com - K2 fan and freelancer, runs the Joomla/K2 tip site: www.yanaku.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.