Keyword

Migrating a large news site to K2

• Mark Orciuoli
  • Mark Orciuoli's Avatar Topic Author
More
13 years 9 months ago #91027 by Mark Orciuoli
Migrating a large news site to K2 was created by Mark Orciuoli
I have an existing news site that is rather busy site with a few thousand articles.  We are currently using Joomla and with this phase 2 project were considering moving to Drupal.  However, we wish to see if K2 can enhance Joomla.  It's a sports site and I read through the getting started article but have a few questions.Our current site has sections for various sports such as hockey, baseball, lacrosse, etc.  Using hockey as an example we have categories called team, player, tournament and training.  We write articles placing them into these categories.  All sports have this type of similar categories.After reading the step by step article written by Florante STEP 4 mentions that you should setup Extra Field Groups.I am looking for some insight/recommendations on section/category/field group approach.For example with Hockey would I create a Section called Hockey and then the categories team, player, tournament and training.  Then create a Field Group called hockey?  Once I have a recommendation for something like this I could then use the same approach for all Sports.Thank you for the assistanceMark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #91028 by william white
Replied by william white on topic Migrating a large news site to K2
When you install k2 you will do a migration Once.
Your existing sections and categories will become categories and subcategories in k2 and every article will be come an item. Your site will continue to function with articles until you decide to change the menu links and k2 will sit there and wait. If you already have this working it should have a corresponding view in k2 that will need to be modified in one of several ways to suit your needs.
All the hockey and other sports stuff may end up as k2 categories and subcategoies. extra fields are used to present something like say batting averages of each player etc
please see friend request and pm for more info

• Mark Orciuoli
  • Mark Orciuoli's Avatar Topic Author
More
13 years 9 months ago #91029 by Mark Orciuoli
Replied by Mark Orciuoli on topic Migrating a large news site to K2
William, I am moving from a VPS server to a Dedicated Server for performance so we will do a migration to the new site. So if I understand this I would have categories for each sport like Hockey with Sub Cats for players, teams, tournaments and training. I guess the field groups is a bit confusing. Would I create one field group for hockey or a field group for hockey and then every sub cat. In the case of your statistics then on the sub cat player you would then assign fieds for statistics information, etc. I am trying to see if this would be the correct structure using hockey and baseball as an example

Parent category Hockey with Field Group Hockey (extra fields for general hockey)
--Sub Cat Player with Field Group Player (extra fields for hockey player)
--Sub Cat Teams with Field Group Teams (extra field for hockey team)

Parent category Baseball with Field Group Baseball (extra fields for general baseball)
--Sub Cat player with Field Group Player (extra fields for baseball player)
--Sun Cat Teams with Field Group Teams (extra files for baseball team)

Thank you for the assistance

Mark