Keyword

Multiple Category Menu Item Layout order??

More
13 years 8 months ago #91270 by Roger Edrinn
Replied by Roger Edrinn on topic Multiple Category Menu Item Layout order??
I'm not sure that this change has helped, because my test didn't include Order-Reverse before. But with Order-Reverse and creative Item ordering I can accomplish my Multi-Category display.

My problem was with a major and minor category needing to display on the same page. The minor items were displaying before the major items, probably because of the alpha order of the categories. The item order insists on a 1 2 3 sequence for all items in each category, starting at say 7 8 9 is not allowed, so that wasn't a fix.

In any case the FTP into my Cpanel and editing of a php file were both useful lessons. I keep learning.

Thanks for all the help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 8 months ago #91271 by matthew turner
Replied by matthew turner on topic Multiple Category Menu Item Layout order??
Hi Roger,

Well done in editing the code, a shame it did not work out as the solution for you this time. Trial and error are the best learning tools one can have. Good luck with future edits !

Roger Edrinn said:

I'm not sure that this change has helped, because my test didn't include Order-Reverse before. But with Order-Reverse and creative Item ordering I can accomplish my Multi-Category display.

My problem was with a major and minor category needing to display on the same page. The minor items were displaying before the major items, probably because of the alpha order of the categories. The item order insists on a 1 2 3 sequence for all items in each category, starting at say 7 8 9 is not allowed, so that wasn't a fix.

In any case the FTP into my Cpanel and editing of a php file were both useful lessons. I keep learning.

Thanks for all the help.

More
13 years 6 months ago #91272 by Alan Sparkes
Replied by Alan Sparkes on topic Multiple Category Menu Item Layout order??
This is interesting and a great fix for menu based multiple categories.It even works for featured items without multiple categories selected in the menu.However.... I cant get a sensible order with this fix or default itemlist.php [model] in a normal category view.Attached is a picture of our 'problem'. It simply doesn't seem possible to control the order. At least not in the way I am trying to achieve.I would add order by 'c.id' too so I could use category order too.After a while this seems like far too much admin overhead ....
Attachments:

More
13 years 6 months ago #91273 by matthew turner
Replied by matthew turner on topic Multiple Category Menu Item Layout order??
Hi Alan,

Sorry it did not help :(

I ended up "faking" it - I used a combo of "empty" categories (with category description displayed - but no items) and k2 content modules, and k2 content by tag modules to display JUST the items I wanted.... Not ideal as it involves manually setting each page up... but it worked - and can be over ridden by metamod pro as required! (site is live - PM me if you want the URL ?) - I am also using this technique(?) to allow multi tag searching on the site !

I am looking into modifying the menu item for "latest items" (setting number of items to display), as I think this may have more scope than the multiple category menu item....(just tested works with subcategory items - one item from the selected categories/subcategories - again PM me for the URL - I have a test copy of the site and will try adapting it to order by "Display order id" - I have not modded the templates to match the existing site for this yet - the items are dark grey text on black background - or even looked at them for long enough to have sorted the css, but it works enough to test - will do later today)

I do think this is possible -  but it just hurts my head when I am working to a deadline for a client and what "should" work doesn't!

Let me know...

Regards

Mat

More
13 years 6 months ago #91274 by JoomlaWorks
Replied by JoomlaWorks on topic Multiple Category Menu Item Layout order??
FIXED in 2.5 SVN.

Fotis / JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Christian Sweningsen
More
13 years 6 months ago #91275 by Christian Sweningsen
Replied by Christian Sweningsen on topic Multiple Category Menu Item Layout order??
Great news, Fotis, many thanks to the crew.; but can you tell us just what it means that it is "fixed"?? And where does one gete 2.5SVN?

Do you refer to the original post -

>I can not get the items to be ordered per the "K2 Items" list when I select multiple categories for a Category Menu Item.
>1. I have 3 Child categories selected.  Neurology Staff, Specialty Staff, and Office Staff
>2. I have "Order" selected for Item ordering  (See attached)
>3. The items are not in the "Order" of the "K2 Items" list.  (See attached, "K2 Item Order")
>4. The order on the page is all mixed up.
Thanks, Christian

More
13 years 3 months ago #91276 by Alan Sparkes
Replied by Alan Sparkes on topic Multiple Category Menu Item Layout order??
Only just noticed this Fotis! Brilliant

• Odin Mayland
  • Odin Mayland's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 1 month ago #91277 by Odin Mayland
Replied by Odin Mayland on topic Multiple Category Menu Item Layout order??
Its August 7th, 2011 and it appears that k2 v2.4.1 is the latest version and still has this issue.  

Is there any solution in the near future by the developers?  
JoomlaWorks said:

We've noted this as a possible bug to investigate. Thanks for mentioning about it.

More
13 years 1 month ago #91278 by mattblack
Replied by mattblack on topic Multiple Category Menu Item Layout order??
I can see this becoming a big issue! simply because having multiple categories on a front page is an important thing for building sites and having the order of them the way you want is a must. SO PLEASE people lets make a noise! I have paid for plugins from joomlaworks and i feel a bit let down.. but at the same time i know how hard it is to stay on top of things.

I really hope it gets resolved.

• Odin Mayland
  • Odin Mayland's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 1 month ago #91279 by Odin Mayland
Replied by Odin Mayland on topic Multiple Category Menu Item Layout order??
I find it hard to believe that I am part of the minority of users that want Multiple Category Menu Item Layout order.