Keyword

Password Protection of Files

• WINTHROP HINDS
  • WINTHROP HINDS's Avatar Topic Author
  • credit ratings matter to your ability to get credi
More
13 years 9 months ago #91684 by WINTHROP HINDS
Password Protection of Files was created by WINTHROP HINDS
Truthfully the TSIA.  As it is still unfortunate that Joomla and Drupal do not have much customization when it comes to user permissions, and I am aware of the modules like those offered by Discouri (however, it proves too difficult for less tech-savvy associates to manage).  There is no easy solution (short of putting all the files in a directory on the server that is itself password protected via HTACCESS) and when I say easy I also mean in terms of overall site design.

Is there anything out there that would prompt a user for a password (I imagine the functionality would be much like a simple CAPTCHA) to access the file?

Thank you in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #91685 by william white
Replied by william white on topic Password Protection of Files
Exactly what point are your wanting to access the file?

• WINTHROP HINDS
More
13 years 9 months ago #91686 by WINTHROP HINDS
Replied by WINTHROP HINDS on topic Password Protection of Files
I'm not looking for something ridiculously fire-walled and secure William, more of a technicality style protection.  We have some very non-tech savvy members that use our site.  Since I detect that my response will not answer your question, let me elaborate:  All of our articles are public, most of our files are public.  We do have a few files (and we currently use DOCMAN) that we would like people, guests, members whatever to enter a passphrase to access the file is all. William White said:

Exactly what point are your wanting to access the file?

More
13 years 9 months ago #91687 by william white
The only thing that comes to mind quickly is using the user level test with k2 like some do for subscribe to readmore, but that doesnt require a password or code.....interesting

• WINTHROP HINDS
More
13 years 9 months ago #91688 by WINTHROP HINDS
I think the simplest application of this would be something like the following for an article on the admin side but on a per item basis:

[X] Require Antispam?

In the global config one could specify the Antispam and the antispam response.

Thank you also for your responses William.  If this is now travelling into the custom mod request style of post please let me know.  But as I am here we are VERY amenable to discussing hiring someone for these simple code edits.

William White said:

The only thing that comes to mind quickly is using the user level test with k2 like some do for subscribe to readmore, but that doesnt require a password or code.....interesting

More
13 years 9 months ago #91689 by william white
Yes, that would work, along with an override to ask for a password when triggered

or if you were using the normal users, guest, registered, and you wanted registered to be able to dl you could wrap the k2 attachments in a user test similar to the readmore test and just dont show it if they are not registered.

• WINTHROP HINDS
More
13 years 9 months ago #91690 by WINTHROP HINDS
Not being a programmer myself Bill, where would I go from here?  Again I thank you for your follow up in determining that this feature or anything like it does not currently exist.