Keyword

Importing Articles into K2, will I lose existing links

• jeph foust
  • jeph foust's Avatar Topic Author
More
13 years 8 months ago #91993 by jeph foust
I really want to throw the switch and work with K2 instead of the joomla core articles thingy, but the big concern I have is that when I import everything into K2 and publish that new K2 generated stuff, it is going to generate different URL addresses for each of the articles I have published, and have links to around the web.

For instance, if this is the current address

mysite.com/category/article-name

is that going to become 

mysite.com/somethingdifferent/article-name

or even

mysite.com/somethingdifferent/different-article-name

I just want to get to the bottom of this so I can figure out how much I am going to have to respond to 404 errors from people linking in with the old addresses.

Or, does (and this is a stretch) K2 have something inside that keeps track of import addresses...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 8 months ago #91994 by william white
Replied by william white on topic Importing Articles into K2, will I lose existing links
When you import the joomla content you will have just that, a bunch of k2 categories, items, and users.

None of them will show up on your site until you create some way to link to them or type a proper url

If you dont unpublish or delete the joomla content, they should remain accessable

all of this of course is without sef enabled....im not sure what will happen when you enable sef, but i do know that the original articles and the new k2 items will co-exist as seperate things and you can address them as such, so the sef must keep track of what its doing somehow.

Use Akeeba - Give it a test - remember not to click import more that once or you will get duplicates

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.