Keyword

Multibyte String Alternative?

• Martin Wilkins
  • Martin Wilkins's Avatar Topic Author
More
13 years 8 months ago #92094 by Martin Wilkins
Multibyte String Alternative? was created by Martin Wilkins
Hello

I've read a few post where people have been having trouble saving categories etc due to not having Multibyte String Enabled/Installed in there setup of PHP - the short answer to that so far has been to "get it installed".

This is not always possible as someone posted but never recieved a response. So what if you cannot get this installed on your server for what ever reason?

I can see from a quick skim through the code where MultiByte String is required there looks like an alternaitve - the unicode slug. This is not part of the Joomla core (in v1.5.22 anyway) so as a test I installed this plugin to see if it works ok as an alternative but as soon as you enable it you get:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class jfilteroutput in /xxxx/xxxx/vhtdocs/www.testsite.com/plugins/system/unicodeslug/filteroutput.php on line 24

which to me says this alternative method will never work as is. Forgive me if I'm wrong as I'm new to K2 and how it works but is the reason for this error due to K2 'reloading' all of the plugins and then after this the Unicode slug is loaded again?

I can understand the importance of MultiByte String functions for Multiple language support but what about those that will only ever server English content and simple urls in the there installation?

Any help in understanding and fixing the problem with the MultiByte alternative would be much appreciated.

System/Setup specs:

live linux host

php v4.4.7

Joomla v1.5.22

K2 v2.4.1

Cheers

Martin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.