Keyword

Switch for No Web Page in Menu ???

• Roger Edrinn
  • Roger Edrinn's Avatar Topic Author
More
13 years 8 months ago #92189 by Roger Edrinn
Switch for No Web Page in Menu ??? was created by Roger Edrinn
What Menu Item Type do I use to create a no operation when a menu branch is clicked?

Currrently, all my Drop-Down menu branches result in a web page. I want only the last or leaf of the branch to result in a web page.

I think I would use one of the many types under Menu Item Type to accomplish this, but I've been unable to find something that results in just an empty click.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 8 months ago #92190 by Terry Britton
Replied by Terry Britton on topic Switch for No Web Page in Menu ???
You should really post this on the Joomla forum rather than the K2 forum. To my knowledge there is no way to have a menu item that goes nowhere. Probably because all it would do is aggrivate people and make them think your website is broken. If you're really determined to do this just create a blank article and then create a menu link that goes to the blank article.

More
13 years 8 months ago #92191 by william white
Replied by william white on topic Switch for No Web Page in Menu ???
Have you tried the seperator type of new menu item

• Roger Edrinn
More
13 years 8 months ago #92192 by Roger Edrinn
Replied by Roger Edrinn on topic Switch for No Web Page in Menu ???
Indeed, I did just that a few hours after I posted here and got a response in a couple of hours. Since installing K2 and creating all my articles as K2 Items and using K2 Categories and Sub-C, K2 has essentially taken over my Joomla admin. I'm still working through the Joomla/K2 fog, I've yet to have an Ah ha moment where it all makes sense, but it is getting closer. Terry A Britton said:

You should really post this on the Joomla forum rather than the K2 forum.

I may someday come around to your view, but to me those would be empty pages that serve no purpose. It'll be easy to revert to clickable branches, simply fill in the text dialog accompaning each branch and remove the external link. I'll know better as I and my customers use the CMS vs my old static website.
Terry A Britton said:
Probably because all it would do is aggrivate people and make them think your website is broken. If you're really determined to do this just create a blank article and then create a menu link that goes to the blank article.

• Roger Edrinn
More
13 years 8 months ago #92193 by Roger Edrinn
Replied by Roger Edrinn on topic Switch for No Web Page in Menu ???
The two solutions are separator and external link, each has + & -.

Separator causes menu anomalies:

1 The template I'm using is White Letters on a Black field, that reverses on hover. The white letters turn black using separator, which effectively makes the menu item disappear.2. On all drop down items using separator causes the small arrow which indicates another branch to disappear.3. In admin I typed in my menu items Upper/Lower Case, the Template I used converted all menu text to upper
case. How separator reverts the text to upper/lower case.

Using an external link (www.yourwebsite.com/#) for the type has none of the above but it looks like a link, finger appears, but a click results in no action.

Thanks for your reply

William White said:

More
13 years 8 months ago #92194 by Terry Britton
Replied by Terry Britton on topic Switch for No Web Page in Menu ???
Roger,

I finally figured out what you're trying to do and it does make sense. If you're comfortable with css, you could solve all three problems with the seperator. For example, the capital letters can be resolved by adding {text-transform: uppercase;} to the css for the seperator. Or remove that css for the template. If you're not familiar with firebug, it is an addon for Firefox that allows you to view and edit css online. Then you can make the template changes after identifying which element you need to change.

If you're not comforable with the above, there are numerous 3rd party menu plugins that might meet your needs.Roger Edrinn said:

The two solutions are separator and external link, each has + & -.

Separator causes menu anomalies:

1 The template I'm using is White Letters on a Black field, that reverses on hover. The white letters turn black using separator, which effectively makes the menu item disappear.2. On all drop down items using separator causes the small arrow which indicates another branch to disappear.3. In admin I typed in my menu items Upper/Lower Case, the Template I used converted all menu text to upper case. How separator reverts the text to upper/lower case.

Using an external link (www.yourwebsite.com/#) for the type has none of the above but it looks like a link, finger appears, but a click results in no action.

Thanks for your reply

William White said: