Keyword

Ninjaboard or Kunena

• Odin Mayland
  • Odin Mayland's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 7 months ago #93428 by Odin Mayland
Replied by Odin Mayland on topic Ninjaboard or Kunena
oops, I didn't have a chance to edit my own reply in the allotted 15 minutes k2 forum gives you.... these are the "features" I will make sure my client's forum does not have to accept.....

"in is an understatement."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Odin Mayland
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 7 months ago #93429 by Odin Mayland
of course one advantage is that ninjaboard will import kunena if and when nb matures.

In the end I guess it is a matter of the site's users:  

Simple, shiny looking, simple  = nb

full featured = kunena

More
13 years 7 months ago #93430 by Oceanwatcher
Replied by Oceanwatcher on topic Ninjaboard or Kunena
Did not understand all of these examples...

I never liked the post editor in Kunena. It is messy in my opinion, and I would love to see it cut down considerably.

NinjaBoard has attachments...

And the extra menu that Kunena adds, similar to Jomsocial is something that would be the first thing to remove if I ever would run a Kunena board. I want all navigation to happen through the menu that I set up and where I decide it should be, not where the forum devs think it should be.

But yes, Kunena has more features at the moment, but I still think NinjaBoard is the way to go. A really BIG thing for me is the attitude of the developers and other people using the extension. With the NinjaBoard people you never get the feeling that they do not want you to say anything or ask anything.

I am looking at the two and try to imagine the long term perspective. What system do I think will develop in the right direction? Who seems to be more open to feedback and have a philosophy that I like?

• Odin Mayland
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 7 months ago #93431 by Odin Mayland
I agree, the post editor should be able to be trimmed to your liking, without hacking.

I haven't used Kunena enough to have an opinion of the menus.  It seems that NB is lacking a user friendly place for all the required buttons/options that a user might need.  Again, I have limited experience with NB.

The developer attitude is the number one reason I would pick nb.  For example, the attitude of Peter van Westen, the developer of www.nonumber.nl/ has made me use his extensions on all my clients sites.  

After reading your reply, I was thinking that since NB has all the potential to add the required features that kunena has currently, but are more willing to develop a better forum then I would be willing to switch.  In the future, due to the fact that NB will import Kunena data, I think I will go with Kunena, for now.

Svein Wisnaes said:

I never liked the post editor in Kunena. It is messy in my opinion, and I would love to see it cut down considerably.

And the extra menu that Kunena adds, similar to Jomsocial is something that would be the first thing to remove if I ever would run a Kunena board. I want all navigation to happen through the menu that I set up and where I decide it should be, not where the forum devs think it should be.

But yes, Kunena has more features at the moment, but I still think NinjaBoard is the way to go. A really BIG thing for me is the attitude of the developers and other people using the extension. With the NinjaBoard people you never get the feeling that they do not want you to say anything or ask anything.

I am looking at the two and try to imagine the long term perspective. What system do I think will develop in the right direction? Who seems to be more open to feedback and have a philosophy that I like?

More
13 years 7 months ago #93432 by Oceanwatcher
Replied by Oceanwatcher on topic Ninjaboard or Kunena
In NB when it comes to buttons and options, you will find some that relates to the thread or post located either at the top or bottom of the relavant post/thread. For other things, I really prefer to use the main menu for the site or a side menu. I like to place things in a menu that I position where I want it according to the layout of my website.

And yes, Peter is a great dev. and I really wish other devs would ask him to get included in his extension manager.

More
13 years 7 months ago #93433 by Stian Didriksen
Replied by Stian Didriksen on topic Ninjaboard or Kunena
Hi guys,

It's true that we lack many features. Unlike Kunena, Ninjaboard is completely from scratch so there's a lot of work ahead.

Menus is something we'll make easier in 1.1, but without having our own menu module. It'll be natie (just like breadcrumbs today).

Since we're not aiming to match every other forum regarding features, 1.1 won't be quite as featured as Kunena, but 1.2 will.

For instance, 1.2 will be able to detect data from links in posts. So instead of a YouTube or embed button in the post editor, you simply paste a link to a YouTube video and it's embedded.
So while we do aim to solve the same common problems other forums are, we're not trying to solve them the same way. Instead we look at the problem and try and find the best way to sole it. Not reinventing wheels, just making it roll smoother ;)

modernmagic said:I agree, the post editor should be able to be trimmed to your liking, without hacking.

I haven't used Kunena enough to have an opinion of the menus.  It seems that NB is lacking a user friendly place for all the required buttons/options that a user might need.  Again, I have limited experience with NB.

The developer attitude is the number one reason I would pick nb.  For example, the attitude of Peter van Westen, the developer of www.nonumber.nl/ has made me use his extensions on all my clients sites.  

After reading your reply, I was thinking that since NB has all the potential to add the required features that kunena has currently, but are more willing to develop a better forum then I would be willing to switch.  In the future, due to the fact that NB will import Kunena data, I think I will go with Kunena, for now.

Svein Wisnaes said: