Keyword

Tracking Item Hits in K2 (For Specified Time Period)

• Stefano Grossi
  • Stefano Grossi's Avatar Topic Author
More
13 years 7 months ago #93617 by Stefano Grossi
Dear Community,

I need to be able to track Hits for K2 Items for a specific period of time. In other words....

eg. How many Hits did K2 Item 1 Receive from Jan 1, 2011 to Feb 1, 2011??

From what I have researched this seems to be either difficult or perhaps impossible.

Is there anyway I can achieve this level of tracking using K2? This functionality is ABSOLUTELY essential to our project. We have invested a ton of time into our project and dont want to have to start from scratch. Any assistance, suggestions, feedback, would be GREATLY appreciated.

You can check out our projects here: www.bestselfatlanta.com and www.atlantahomeimprovement.com

Thanks for all your Help,

Stefano

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #93618 by George Vouliakis
Replied by George Vouliakis on topic Tracking Item Hits in K2 (For Specified Time Period)
Hi Stefano,

As I know "hits" in K2 items are following the standard behavior of Joomla! framework. I thing that you can not track hits  for certain period for each item with K2 as it is. The only solution I can suggest (actually crossed my mind while reading your post), is to try to develop a plug-in that grabs the "Id" from the url requested by user/guest, checks that the "Id" belongs to "com_k2" and updates a new table that holds such information (Id, Views, Date/Time). After that you can manage the table as you want. For example developing a module or a plugin that shows the hits per "Id" for a certain period...

Anyway the solution lies "out" of K2 

George

More
13 years 7 months ago #93619 by BBC
Google analytics and some lines of code in index.php.

You cannot have better way to monitor what Items and links people clicks. With calender, and posibility to monitor custom parts.

• Stefano Grossi
  • Stefano Grossi's Avatar Topic Author
More
13 years 7 months ago #93620 by Stefano Grossi
Replied by Stefano Grossi on topic Tracking Item Hits in K2 (For Specified Time Period)
Thanks George and BBC.

@BBC: I was actually already thinking about Google Analytics as an option. In terms of knowing what snippet of code to add to the index.php page and how to set up monitoring of custom elements is there any specific area or resource within Google Analytics that you can point me towards??

@George: I may still have to go in this option because to add to the complexity we are grouping items by a custom field for each item (eg. Customer) and I would want to be able to generate reports grouped by this custom field and then generated per date range. If I decide to move in this direction do you have any advice as to who would be a good candidate to help me develop this functionality. Any help or further detail would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Stefano

More
13 years 7 months ago #93621 by BBC
I used GA some time. Use mostly Piwik, but it will be end with it soon. To heavy for DB, and this IP monitoring is not worth that.

GA has some settings for Alarms. Anyway few lines of code is very easy to put inside template index.php file.

When you register for GA you get all explanation very shortly. Just do as it says there. You don´t need something special. Just go to "Content" and chose how you will sort statistics.

Links (Items), time (calender). There are plenty of options.